Aspire/Festiva/Fiesta Possibly one of the original "sub compacts" this car offered amazinf fuel economy.

No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Default No Spark

My Fiesta -90, that I've named Laika after the first dog in space, don't make any sound anymore. It stopped one morning on my way to work. I've found out that there is no spark. I replaced the "coil" (I don't know the word for it? Is it the right word for the electrical component that, with a cable, is connected to the thing that distribute the spark to the plugs?) But that didn't helt me. I think I have a problem with earth. I don't get 12 volt when the key is in running mode and I measure over the + and - on the "coil". I've tried to draw a cable direct to - on the battery from the coil. Didn't work. But when I did I can measure 12 volts over the connections on the "coil".

If I disconnect the cable from the "coil" from the distributor and place it close the earth somewhere, should I be able to see any spark there when I turn the key to start and the starter is running?

I would be very pleased to get any kind of answer from you people out there. And I hope you can forgive me for my bad technical english. I live in sweden and actually work with cars, but not as an mechanic. I build the interior in craftsmens cars. See the homepage of my swedish company: www.modul-system.se

Best regards
Anders