Aspire/Festiva/Fiesta Possibly one of the original "sub compacts" this car offered amazinf fuel economy.

Where is the fuel pump relay???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Default Where is the fuel pump relay???

I have a 1990 Ford Festiva that recently died. It cranks, and wants to fire up, but to no avail. I replaced the fuel pump (wasn't fun) but that didn't do it, so my next guess is the fuel pump relay. Does anyone know where this relay can be found? My local Ford dealer couldn't even tell me! [:@]

Old 01-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Default RE: Where is the fuel pump relay???

The owners manual would tell you or maybe a repair manual. Nix that -I got the boost to take a look and I have a picture that indicates it's on the front left/drivers side. Looks to be under dash but could be on the firewall just behind the shock tower. It shows 3 wires coming out. Small rectangular box next to (left or further to the drivers side of) the ECA (Electronic Control Assembly - which is a fairly larger box). If you want to be sure you have fuel pressure you may check by pushing the bleeder on the fuel rail - but be careful to keep hands and eyes,etc. covered as fuel spray can blind you or absorb straight through your skin at high pressure in fuel injected cars. If you have enough pressure (check 2 or 3 times after turning ignition key to "on") then it could be electrical. The spray/mist (not a **** stream) should shoot up at least a good foot in the air. I use a thin long straight screwdriver with a 85 degree bend on the end to open the valve and I hold my arm straight to keep clear. The valve usually has a black cap on and works exactly like a valve on a car tire. If the pressure is low check the fuel filter ( I would have started there). Your local Ford dealer must have mechanics that work a lot (or not). It took me all of one minute to look and i'm not getting a dime.