Engine & Internal Lounge Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Which engine would YOU choose for an F350?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Default Which engine would YOU choose for an F350?

and WHY?

I am seriously looking at the late model, or maybe even new F-350 SD's, and trying to decide which motor I prefer. I am looking at the
cab + chassis with the bed deleteoption.

I have had F-150's with 4.6 and 5.4(2v), but nothing else in terms of current offerings.

I am leaning towards the V-10, and might evengo with the V-8 diesel in 2-3more years, but not so early in their production run.

I understand the gas mileage issues of the V-10, and I can live with 10mpg for the trade offs. I want for just a little more power and tq than I can get in a 5.4.

Have always stayed away from diesels due to noise, fumes and smell, maintenanceseems more expensive, extra originalcost, what I have heard and read about the current offering.

Why can't Ford offera Cat diesel.........lol ?????

Looking for advice from anyone who has been there and done that and might have suggestions.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Default RE: Which engine would YOU choose for an F350?

Ultimately torque and gas mileage work against each other. To begin with torque is not just controlled by what engine you have but by what rear end gears in combination with what transmission gears and what motor. If for example you have a small engine with low trans. gears but an overdrive and a low geared rear you will have plenty of torque with less of a gas-sucking power plant but you'llstill get decent gas mileage on the highway in your OD gear in spite of the low rear.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Default RE: Which engine would YOU choose for an F350?

Thanks for responding ~

I see options with these trucks for rear ends eveninto 4.88 and 5.30 range, but I was planning to keep somewhere in the 4.30 to hopefully even the 4.10 range.

In most cases I wouldn'tsee me carrying anywhere near the GVW for the rig, and if the motor has enough power/tq I can go with a better rear end ratio for when I am on the highway.

I really like the new diesel, butit mightbetoo early to tell about this one, and for me I stillthink that gas is more attractive an option, although I have heard horror stories about gas mileage for the 6.8 V-10, maybe because of some of what is mentioned in the post about this one.

I understand what you are saying. Also, this truck might eventually be hauling a heavy 5th wheel and just don't know if 5.4 is a better choice overall than the 6.8L. Would always ratherhave too much motor than not enough. It is easier to change rear end gearingthan to change motor, trans, or to swap out an otherwise perfect truck.

Still hoping for comments from more of those peoplewho have these trucks and motors...