Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

Need carb linkage help '69 Torino 302 (2100)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Question Need carb linkage help '69 Torino 302 (2100)

This is on my '69 Torino Sedan w/302 and 2100 Autolite carb.

OK , loosing my mind. I made the rookie mistake of not taking pictures before I took everything apart assuming I could figure it out or find diagrams or pictures that would help, but no luck and I am at my wits end.

Need a diagram or Pic( better ) of the goofy linkage contraption that connects the carb to the accelerator pedal. Have it hooked up, but it doesn't seem right. Out of the 3 rods, 2 of them I am sure are right since they have no where else to go, but the one that connects to carb just seems wrong. Also need to know where the spring goes and if I am missing anything. Will post a pic of it in the morning, it's raining and dark at the moment. If anyone has a picture please help me out.

Also in my bag of linkage parts I found a small rod that I can't for the life of me figure out where it goes. It is about 2 inches long with 90 degree bends on both ends. On the bag it says passengers side carb but I see nothing to hook it to over there.

Trying to get it all finished up to set the timing this weekend. I've put a lot of time and effort fixing the mechanical issues and getting the little 302 looking good to get held up by something like this. PLEASE HELP!!

BTW got the '69 ford shop manual it doesn't have a diagram of my particular linkage.( oh and for the super observant I did fix the mixed up heater hoses after I took this pic)

Old 04-25-2014, 06:41 PM

You are doing one heck of a job, looks like a million.
Can you ,if possible, post some pix of both sides of the carb and a pix or two of the throttle pedal linkage coming out of the firewall. There are lots of guys/gals here that probably will be able to offer some help. Some of us have probably worked on those at one time or another and should be able to sort out the linkage . Give it a shot !!

If it has the thermostatic pellet in the air cleaner snorkel is it all still in there?

Old 04-27-2014, 02:38 PM

Ok here are the pics . Didn't do a lot of cleaning on carb, because I was worried about getting contaminates in it and also considering getting it professionally redone. The zip tie was there when I bought the car and I haven't gotten around to finding the correct clip since I was so focused on just getting it running again. It has been non-running since last June. Tried to fire it up last night, seems to have timing issues and the carb gasket failed as you may notice in the pics, will need to pull carb, replace gasket and clean that up.
Name:  DSC01163_zpse9bd157e.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  108.3 KBName:  DSC01165_zps13b37cc6.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  85.7 KBName:  DSC01164_zps61de6e27.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  103.2 KB

Old 04-27-2014, 02:40 PM

here it is with AC installed, just before I installed the belts and tried to fire it up. Name:  DSC01160_zps19137064.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  90.6 KB

Old 04-27-2014, 02:59 PM

Hanky by "thermostatic pellet" I assume you talking about the vacum diaphragm on bottom of snorkel. Unfortunately the heat riser and vacum valve was missing when I purchased car the snorkel door works well though. I simple unhooked the spring to it to get air flow and it was running fine before I tore it down to dress it up and replace valve seals and timing set.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:00 PM

I'm going to have to do some digging since there doesn't appear to be much out of place except why is the rod from the carb to the belcrank look like it's held with a zip tie.
Can you post a pix of that extra rod you referred to?

Old 04-28-2014, 08:00 PM

Zip tie explained in previous post. Here is the linkage rod that I don't know where it goes exactly. It is obviously a fabricated part to replace the original, but without knowing what it is I can't even look for an original replacement. Like I said before, car did run well before tear down, so the zip tie and this part worked for what it's worth. I'm going to replace both, but I really want to get the car back together and running again first. I've already done a fair bit of searching for hard to find bits, so will save that for another day. (like finding a NOS replacement "Master vacuum switch" for the AC was a bugger. ecspecially when I didn't even know what it was called when I started looking just knew what it did and that I needed a new one, ) I did some digging on Google and it might be something to do with the choke, but I couldn't find a picture with the right point of view to be sure.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Only 2 rods on the side,, were choke, and fast idle rods..

Old 05-03-2014, 05:21 PM

OK after examining tons of linkage photos and diagrams and inspecting my linkage and carb I have come to the conclusion that it has to be right since it won't connect any other way and still work( I did adjust the position of the spring to give more resistance to the gas pedal). As for the extra rod after the above mentioned research the only conclusion I can come to is that it was a Previous owner goof. By the length and angles I believe it was a choke pull rod and since the carb already has one on it I can only conclude that this one fell off at some point into a recess of the intake and the PO made a new one. Then when I tore the engine down and found it I must have though it fell off the carb when I was working on it. ( tore down last June so I can only assume that is what happened, since my memory is not that good) Thanks to those that offered advice and info. Hopefully I will get it running tomorrow, wish me luck.

Just to show you how the rod could have been lost here is a BEFORE pic of my engine partially dissembled though, but I'm sure you can just image the condition of the rest of it and appreciate how far it has come, I did all the restoration work myself.

Name:  DSC00923_zps6e28cfd2.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  80.3 KB