Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

Need help on carb

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Default Need help on carb

Hey guys i see not many ppl here with our great fairlane's and such, But i got a major problem.
I spent all weekend replacing everything on my 65 Fairlane. It has a 289 with a two barrel carb. I replaced basically everything in the engine since it was all original parts from 65, even the coil was the original coil. I changed the two fuel filters, even gave it new hoses, new fuel lines, the fuel pump. My problem is that when im driving the car its fine, if i dont step on the gas to hard it will drive fine. But if i step on the gas like having to get on the freeway quick, it stalls out and dies, like the carb is being flooded, and when trying to start it back up, it takes a few times like its flooded, i can rev it up in park and it doesn't do this, but when i put it in drive, keep the brake down and rev it up, it dies.
We tried to put in a fuel regulator but that didnt help. Ive used carb cleaner, but that seems to kill the car too. Ive turned idle up and then down, that does not help either.
I cant think of anything else to do. I hope i can get some advice soon, i have to get car out of place its stored at by tomorrow evening.
Thank you guys for any help you can give me.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:32 PM

U tried the air fuel mixture yet if not try that or just rebuild the carb

Old 06-13-2010, 11:57 AM

Ya the carb is bad. I tried to get it home yesterday, and it idled fine, then i got up to about 30 and it would start chugging. No way i was gonna take it on the freeway. Ended up renting a parking spot in a gated rental storage place, Till i get get my fender guitar sold and buy a new carb. Thank you Jeremy88 for your response.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:31 PM

There is what is referred to as a power valve in some ford carbs. It opens on low vacuum which is present on acceleration, sounds like it isn't working.

The valve usually comes in the rebuild kit. I believe you use a 1 inch socket to change it-- or a pair of pliers. It is vacuum controlled try to make sure all the vacuum passages are ok. hank

Old 06-17-2010, 08:43 PM

the accel.pump is bad common problem on autolite carbs.just by one at ford or any good parts store along with base gasket,should cost less than 10 bucks

Old 06-18-2010, 03:42 AM

The last gentleman that stated the accelerator pump is bad is right on the money. Just make sure you depress the pump arm pushing against the diaphram before tightening the four screws so the diaphram can move. Piece of cake job, go for it! hank

Last edited by hanky; 06-18-2010 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Two barrel carbs have pump on the side , easily accessable
Old 06-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Default Still no idea whats going on

Ok we rebuild the carb, but it was still doing the same thing. My brother his friend and myself are at wits end. I ended up going to Pull a part and found another carb for 20 bucks.
We took it home cleaned it up, rebuild that one, car was running awesome, then ran out of gas. Took us half hour to get it started finally, I really don't understand why it was so hard to get it going. But anyways finally got it going and it was running really bad. We made sure the timing was on, everything was hooked up right. and just wouldn't run right, we thought something was in gas tank and got clogged. We checked all the filters, nothing clogged.
We unhooked the Carb took it off the engine, seems a little gas was leaked underneath. Put the carb back on. got it started, and tuned it right. It was running perfect, until we put the air cleaner on. as soon as my brother put it on top, he didn't even have time to screw it on, and it died. The car would not start as long as the air cleaner was on.
It took us a few min to get it restarted, once again running very good. My brother put the air cleaner on top of carb, and it died again. This time we can not seem to get it started for the life of us. I am at wits end, Can someone please give me more advice on what to check. Thank you guys so much for all the info so far.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:17 PM

I know this is a silly question ,but is there anything stuck in the air cleaner passages? Is the filter reasonably clean? From what you describe , the engine is starving for air or,,,,,,,,,,, is running extremely rich so much so that when you place the air cleaner on it , it floods the cylinders. One way to confirm this is to remove a spark plug right after it stalls and see if the plug is saturated with fuel. Depending on what you find will determine your next course of action. Thanks, hanky

Old 06-18-2010, 04:21 PM

Not silly question, We took it apart again, nothing is clogging the air. all 3 fuel filters are new, and double checked to make sure no clogs.
Spark plus are not saturated, just normal. The weird thing is when we take off the carb, the manifold has gas sitting the indents.
All the seals and spacers are new, and carb is tightened down enough.
This has done it with both carbs ive put on. My brother did find that he had put the new accelerator pump diaphragm and spring in backwards. but we still cant seem to get it started. The battery is dead now and on the charger so we will mess with it again later, to see what we can come up with. Thank you again for another thing to check on.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:46 PM

OK, Raw gas is getting into the manifold and engine. We used to set the float level on those carbs with the top off. I would not recommend you do that since you are having this problem. The only thing I can come up with at this time is ; Something is causing the float not to regulate the fuel going into the engine. It's unusual for 2 rebuild jobs to have the same result unless you are using incorrect specs or the fuel pump is pumping with such high pressure that it is overcoming the needle valve in the carb and pushing all that extra fuel into the engine . Did the rebuild kit provide you with float level setting procedures , measurement gauge and specs? That is the only way I can think of where extra fuel can be dumped into the engine. We can solve this problem so don't get discouraged OK ! Last but not least, Are the floats from both carbs empty? A float with gas in it will sink no matter how correct you set it.

hanky

Quick Reply: Need help on carb