Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

top speed, with a two speed auto trans

Old 08-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Default top speed, with a two speed auto trans

hey guys, well Stella (as we have named our 62 Falcon) is finally on the road. I had to flush the radiator and I hope she is done overheating. I drover her to work the other day: is 55 about the top speed or is it stuck in first gear? I cant tell....it doesnt sound like the engine want to give any more....I googled and it and found the top speed to be 80 (!) really? Even when it was new I find that hard to believe...

thoughts? suggestions?

Old 08-17-2012, 10:05 PM

When you accelerate to about 30-35 mph with light throttle, and put it into low does it downshift?

If you can't feel a shift you could also hook up a tack', and see the rpm numbers go down if it is making a 1-2 shift.

Btw: Those cast iron two speed FoMoCo's are the toughest automatics ever made. A bit tricky to overhaul, but when done right they rarely break. In my experience when they do malfunction it's because of a crack/broken seal(s) on the input and/or output shafts.

Interesting too, they don't use a typical Simpson planetary gear set, but a Ravigneaux type. Here's a link... Which show info' on a four speed trans. But the planetary gear set is the same as you car's. You just have one gear set instead of three.

Automatic Transmission (Ravigneaux)

Something else also comes to mind if your trans is in fact going into high grear. With the engine off have somebody floor the accelerator pedal. Look down the carb' throat, and make sure the throttle plate is openning up all the way. The linkage from the pedal to the carb' may need adjustment.

Let us all know what you find. I say the top speed is much higher than 55 mph.

Last edited by thexlo8ers; 08-18-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:22 AM

ok, after checking it: it is shifting --- i guess my hold up on pushing her is just that the engine sounds really loud -- this is my first exp with a two speed automatic....I guess I am a little hesitant to push it.....

Old 08-18-2012, 12:35 PM

When the trans makes its one, and only shift, it is in high gear. With a ratio of 1:1. Same as a three speed automatic in 3rd.