Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

top speed on '97 T-bird

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Default top speed on '97 T-bird

i just bought a '97 T-bird v8 4.6Land floored it down the high wayto see how fast it could go but once ihit 105 it slowed downto 100 then sped back up to 105 and kept doin it.

if anyone knows whyplease reply thanks

Old 11-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: top speed on '97 T-bird

Speed limiter/governor..

Old 11-17-2008, 03:06 AM

Exactly kinda'. The government has their finger up your a** once again - yes the electronic limiter. The enemy of any speed freak. You're gonna' die like everybody else and they want you to do it slowly, safely and in their sterile environment - Basically YOU'RE THEIR SLAVE. Prove me wrong and you'll be like me. If people would stop worrying about dying and live -this dirtpile might not end up so overpopulated (ending up without need for needless wars). Let's face it - they could've just ****in' nuked Iraq and Afghanistan - only here comes the obvious need to decrease surplus population (in case you've never heard that before). Yeah wartime - to take one in the head or luck out. Much like speeding. I prefer to save them the trouble. Problem is everyones so obsessed with dying I get a stupid ticket for taking my own turn on the wheel of life. Watch what's running with you, watch yourself, and build NASCAR grade vehicles withrace harnesses instead of douchebags that blow in your face while you crash. Have you ever considered that there may be more unreported deathsFROM the new "safety" crap? Why would they tell you? Any how if you want to speed up your new Bird you'll need electronic speed hardware or chips OR you could be an electrical engineer and make your own circuit boards. That or buy something from the 60's/70's - maybe older? I had my '75 Elite juiced and since the speedo. Only read 120MPH I assumed I was about 130MPH? I can say it's better than wasting money gambling only to end up oweing cash and eating a bullet for dessert. I've calmed down over the years but as an engineer I know turning less RPM at higher speeds saves gas - not looking at the green light for two hours or putting in first gear and revving the motor out. In conclusion - hate government regulation - It's American. Also have great brakes(and say no to OnStar tracking devices - If I want the government to know when I stopped on I95 with a case of the sh*ts to sh*t I'll tell them myself). God already knows everything so leave me be (be fast - that is).

Old 01-07-2009, 01:59 AM

I just bought a Hypertech 42000 to remove the Limiter, but so far I have only been able to program the Hypertech to it's default value of:

S = 110 MPH, right now I am in communcations with the MFR of the Hypertech.

Once I iron out the bugs in this, I will post back on how high I could set the Max Speed, which right now I want it to be for the Speed Rating of the Tires I have on the Bird, which is W = 168 MPH.

Still 110 MPH is a little better than the 105 MPH I was limited to before.