Ford Bronco One of the original SUVs, offered in both a full size Bronco, or the more compact Bronco II.

87 Bronco II Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 01:36 AM
Default 87 Bronco II Brake Problem

My brakes are very spongy when I press the brake pedal, pedal goes almost all the way to the floor. Also, the brake pads on the drivers side front keep slipping off, the anti-rattle clip has fallen off and I am going to replace. The claipers are only 3 months old and I replaced the master cyclinder today. I have bled and re bled the system and the sponginess and the pad slip still continues. Do I have a sticking or seized claiper or a bad brake power booster unit? Or is my whole problem due to the missing anti-rattle clip causing pad slip which is interferring making he brakes spongy?

Old 01-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Default RE: 87 Bronco II Brake Problem

This is a very odd one , even with the brake clip gone your pads should not slip off , not real sure what you mean by slipping off ? , is it possible you installed the wrong sides of the brake pads , you should have an inner an outer pad , normally one is smaller then the other.

If the brake pad is falling out then yea you will have a low pedal as theres nothing for the piston to press against

Also one thing you might want to try is to adjust your rear brakes , usually when theres a low pedal on these old Fords , I have found the rear brakes way outta adj.

Good Luck , let us know what you find , this one is interesting

Old 01-01-2006, 06:55 PM

Turns out it was a completely destroyed outer bearing, I hadn't noticed the play in the roter and it wasn't making noise when spun. Once I got it out it took awhile to get all the metal srapnal off everything. What was left of the bearings just fell out. the outer spindle nut wasn't even threaded on and was shot. The rotor had so much play in it the caliper couldn't compress with all the wobble, thats why the brake pad kept slipping off. WHen I say slipping I me it was darn near ready to throw the shoe.

Thanks for the input.

Woodsman

Old 01-02-2006, 06:44 AM

yeppers , that would do it ----------------------------