Ford Bronco One of the original SUVs, offered in both a full size Bronco, or the more compact Bronco II.

92 BRONCO CAN'T GET DRIVE SHAFT OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Default 92 BRONCO CAN'T GET DRIVE SHAFT OFF?

I have a 92 bronco and I need to get the rear drive shaft off but no matter what tool I use, I can't seem to get the bolts that connect the drive shaft to the transfer case off. I tried using a socket and vice grips but they won't move an inch. Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions for getting those bolts off?

Thanks

Al

Old 08-20-2005, 07:58 PM
Default RE: 92 BRONCO CAN'T GET DRIVE SHAFT OFF?

Your talking about the 4, 5/16 dia. nuts that go on the U shaped strap that holds the driveline to the yoke ??,, If thats what you mean , they are fine thread so there tight to remove but normally a long 1/2 - 13 mm wrench works , Sometimes you gotta stick a big screwdriver thru the yoke to help hold it so it dont turn on you .,,, Other wise Iam not sure what your refering too .

Old 08-21-2005, 10:48 PM

yes if that doesnt work maybe you will have to heat them up

Old 08-22-2005, 12:48 AM

No, I am refering to the large 4 bolts that attach the drive shaft to the transfer case. They have a rather strange surface, like ridges, that seem almost impossible to grab on to with a socket or anything else I've tried so far. I tried to heat them up last night and I definately got them very hot but they are not moving. They are not even rusted. It's just that the head is so hard to grip. It's like a mushroom cap shape. I was just wondering if there was a trick or special tool or maybe someone has had a battle with them and could give me an idea?

Thanks

Al

Old 08-22-2005, 10:48 AM

I found the technical terms for what I am trying to remove. "Some driveshafts have a double cardan type CV joint at the transfer case end. Mark the position of the flanges and then remove the flange bolts. The flanges will then separate and the driveshaft can be removed." I can't get the flange bolts off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Al

Old 08-22-2005, 12:15 PM

Oh , gesss I hate those double cardan,CV joints , they are a pain !!!!! , Ok I think I'am with you now , those 4 bolts should be like a 15mm head ( if I remember rite ) an has to be a 12 pointed socket used on them ( that I know for sure ) --preferable an impact grade , Cause they are fine thread an yes VERY TIGHT !!!Normally they will let out a POP when you break them loose. An yes they use locitite on them ., ( count the # of ridges on the bolt head an let me know how many there are if you would please ), I did run into one a few years back , the guy took it to a drive shaft shop there in Tampa, An when they put it back together they had put some 8 sided head bolts back in, An you need a special socket for those, cause a 6 or 12 point normal socket / wrench wont fit . It would be BIZZARE if this is the same BRONCO !!!

Old 08-23-2005, 01:24 AM

Thank you very much for helping me out. Just in case anyone else ever runs into this problem again, here's how I finally solved it. First I went to a Ford dealer and bought 8 new bolts for about $17 bucks total. Then I went took the bolts to the service tech and asked him to tell me "exactly" which socket he would use to remove the bolt. It was a 12mm 12 point. Since the access to 4 bolts that attach the drive shaft to the transfer case just doesn't allow enough room for a socket, I purchased a 12 point 12mm wrench. Then I went to home depot and dug through their waste bin for scrap pipes. I took 2 12 to 14 inch pipes out with different diameters and when I told the cashier where I grabbed them from, she told me to just take them. When I got home, I slide under the truck, attached the wrench to one of the bolts and slide the pipe over it. Then I pulled as hard as I possibly could and through the magic of leverage, the bolts all came out one by one. I took the drive shaft off, took it down to Dependable DriveShaft in Clearwater Florida and they put 3 new u joints and a new bearing in the CV for about $130 total and out the door I went. I got home, slide under the truck and bolted it in and still had time to jump in the truck and take the family to the beach. I hope this helps someone else.

Thanks
Al

Old 08-23-2005, 10:35 AM

If you jack up the rear of the vechile , As you turn the driveshaft around , you should be able to get a socket on the bolts 1 by 1, . done it lots of times, that why I couldnt figure out why you were unable to get it off, An of course I had a 1/2 " impact gun