Ford Bronco One of the original SUVs, offered in both a full size Bronco, or the more compact Bronco II.

Brono Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Default Brono Transmission Question

I'm about to buy an 85 Bronco in really good condition considering it's been used for nothing but a mud riding and riding around drinking beer with the top off vehicle. There is only one problem and I was wondering if anyone has ever had this problem before and knows what may be up with it.

He said he was driving home from mud riding andthey smelled something they stopped and there was some transmission fluid leaking out, they put more in it to try and make it home, it was running fine, shifting fine and not smelling, it started to smoke a bit and they stopped immediately and looked under and the transmissionfluid was running out of it. They towed it home as to not cause any more damage.He told me it was a line that had gotten a hole in it or a clamp that come offcausing the fluid to run out.Has anyone had a problem like this before. My wife knows the people really well so I wouldn't think he would blow smoke up my butt like that and besides, he doesn't want to get rid of it so Ialso wouldn't think he would tell me it was something as simple as that either.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Default RE: Brono Transmission Question

well, its very plausible that a tranny coolant line was ripped off or smashed and started to leak and all in that case. especially when off-roading like that. why don't you just get under it and see, the coolant lines will be on the passenger side of the tranny, starting maybe a foot forward from the tailshaft. not too hard to find.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Default RE: Brono Transmission Question

Well, it's been raining alot here and it's sitting in a yard and I haven't been able to get underneath it yet. I wanted to find out where and what to look at first and too see if this was a likely problem to have. Thanks for the response!!!