Ford Bronco One of the original SUVs, offered in both a full size Bronco, or the more compact Bronco II.

How do I know if my Bronco needed new shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 02:50 AM
Default How do I know if my Bronco needed new shocks?

Before starting Thanks to RAMROD 48 for replying. I would look for those radios arms and camber plates. Yet, Do you have any picture of the parts you are saying. I would appreciate very much. Next question: I don't know if my recent bought Bronco 84 4x4 full would need new shocks. Is there any way I can figure out this. Thanks

Old 11-27-2005, 10:02 AM
Default RE: How do I know if my Bronco needed new shocks?

Sorry dont have any pics. but theres one on each side, back of axle , to check your shocks , push down on the fender on that side several times an step back , if the shock is good it should only rebound ( bounce ) once , if the shock is bad it probaly bounce several times.

Check around the lower half of the shock an see if there is a oily film on it , thats a sign the shock is leaking.

with it being a 4x4 might be hard to do the bounce test , you may have to remove the shock, an try compressing by hand several times, put the bottom end on the cement , or work bench , an try pushing down on the upper part.

It should go down with resistance an then return right away. ( Dont bottom the shock out however, pushing it all the way down ), try pushing it down several times it should retun quickly , if it dont return ( sticks ) , then its junk, if you can afford it get yourself a set of gas shocks.

Old 11-27-2005, 05:18 PM

Once more, Thanks a lot RamRod48! Good info. Another one: last night I found some kits at http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...gs1980-1981_bl... they say go with the radius arm, but there are other bushings that another customers bought as well. What is the set or the required one's to correct my problem, that is, eating my 33" tires from outside? Also I need your comments about this article: http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbron...arm/index.html I'll be around, thanks. rrubalc

[IMG]local://upfiles/3486/39A07F4BB15D432B97364FC8642FC82A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3486/FD88390B6B754E71BBD646A7B2FCEEB6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-30-2005, 09:51 AM

Very good articles, the first one , Iam not familar with the company , So I cant tell you the diff in the color sets , prehaps you can call or email them an they can tell you the diff , an be able to make your choice there. ( maybe its just a choice of colors I cant say for sure ).

The second article yes thats the way to go , I've been doing these Fords since the late seventy's ( 70), So it might be new to him, to repair them that way . But us ole timers have been doing it that way for years. Like he said make sure you use grade 8 bolts . An yes it makes the job a lots easier, An make sure the hole in the bracket is not ate out of round if it is you will need to replace it . Plus if you own the truck a long time you will have to replace those bushings a few times., Good luck

Old 12-05-2005, 02:21 AM

Sorry for replying you many days after you answer my question. I was out of town. Thank you very much for the info. I am going to call the company so they can tell me whichh one to order for my truck. Cheers. rrubalc