Ford Bronco One of the original SUVs, offered in both a full size Bronco, or the more compact Bronco II.

My plug threads are totally messed up...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Default My plug threads are totally messed up...

So I just picked up a 1986 ford bronco W/ 302 small block in it and I love it, drove it for a month or so and I decided to spend a little money on new spark plugs and a few other things... We were working on swapping the plugs and tr first two went awesome... Than we hit a problem.... The guy who owned the bronco before me FORCED spark plus that we're the wrong size in there...totally stripping the threads on my heads...

So now I'm faced with finding either a
Method to re thread the holes or buy new heads... Kinda looking for some advice from
Anyone who's dealt with this before... Minus this shes a beast. And I'll totally spend the money on new heads if I have to cause well I love this vehicle....

The only thing I cOuld think of was tap the threads to slightly larger than
The original Spark plugs, and use the same size ones he forced in, and just start using those now.I know I have to pull the heads etc to avoid metal shavings on
The engine but I'm curious on anyone else's experiences or opinions for I am but a lowly noob

Please help me ....

Posted in another area but doesn't look like a lot of traffic there

Old 07-12-2012, 05:13 PM

You need something like this:"Time Serts", go tot he parts store.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:52 PM

I'd say go buy some new heads at the least you won't have trouble with the wrong plugs. but if you do go that far why not rebuild the engine and not have any worries
with it at all. Most people redo the top end and forget the bottom until it blows up on them

Old 07-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

I'd go with inserts as well..

Without knowing what he did as far as 'stretching' the plug diameter/s, if it will take inserts it would be the easiest fix. Shavings can be controlled by greasing the tap constantly, or using a tube and vacuum, or, just drop the exhaust and they'll easily find their way out.. Most anything that small won't be an issue..

Old 07-14-2012, 02:19 AM

I wonder about these different plugs you say the previous owner used..could they have had thread inserts and they came out with the old plugs ?

Old 07-14-2012, 04:32 AM

I think wot Granpabobby is saying is correct. May be it is fault of a former owner. The threads used by him may be not used properly and they result coming up with old plugs and dese older ones are creating problem. I think you better get a new wire.