Ford Contour While only built on a short time span, the Contour was very popular with people of all driving styles, from the base model making for a great family car, to the SVT making a great track toy.

97 Ford Contour - shift solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Default 97 Ford Contour - shift solenoid?

Hi, im new to this forum, but i have a question;

Im looking at buying a used 97 Ford Contour. It has 157,000 miles plus change. Its a 4-cylinder, with power everything. It needs an O2 sensor and shift solenoid. Ive never even heard of a shift solenoid before, so that was a new thing for me. I am fairly handy, having replaced numerous things on cars (brakes, rotors, fluid lines, etc.), so i think im able to fix it myself. Im just wondering how much parts run, and how much work would be involved in fixing it, Im no certified mechanic, but with some instructions, im fairly certain i could do it myself.

thanks!

Old 04-05-2008, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 97 Ford Contour - shift solenoid?

Welcome to the site..

By 'shift solenoid' are you referring to the shift interlock (shifter solenoid) for the gear selector, or are you meaning a shift solenoid in the transaxle? Many things can mask for a bad 02 as well..

Old 04-05-2008, 12:30 AM

I am not sure. I will ask him though. How much will each replacement part cost, and which is the cheaper fix?

and what do you mean by a lot of things can mask for a bad O2 as well? what kinds of things?

Old 04-05-2008, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

If it were the shift interlock on the selector, it would be easier and cheaper than a transaxle solenoid problem.. With 157K if still on the original trans, it could bemore than a trans solenoid.. Good 02 sensors are replaced fairly often because of masked problems like a dirty/contaminated mass air flow sensor causing/forcing 02 sensor lean codes, or any vacuum leaks or unmetered air entering the intake, EGR (exhaust gas recirculation)and so on.. Circuit/connector issues as well.. Same with anycondition that can cause for a overly rich exhaust and affect cat effiency..In general, theway the 02's work is they generate a voltage for the PCM to see that in or at a 'lean condition' will be about .75v,, and on a 'richer exhaust' sample/reading will be about .980+or-.. The 02's need to 'crosscount' or also called 'switching' and range in voltage back and forth constanly in thosevalues (depending on the throttle angle/load ect) and they have to range and crosscount within a specific time.. If they stay high 'or' low too long or slow to switch the CEL will illuminate and a code is stored.. So if you were to have 'lets say' a vacuum leak,, the 02's may golean and stay low voltage, or for too longand the code/light is set..