Ford Contour While only built on a short time span, the Contour was very popular with people of all driving styles, from the base model making for a great family car, to the SVT making a great track toy.

IAC valve circuit malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Question IAC valve circuit malfunction

After much fiddling and fussing with this and that I finally got my 98 Ford Contour (6 cyl, 2.5L, LX model) running. After a couple of days and a few drives, I began to smell exhaust in the cab and got a lean condition code (P1701) on my scanner. Suddenly, while in idle the engine died and I could not get it started again. A subsequent test of the vacuum system showed that the IAC valve motor housing was leaking like a sieve. However, replacement of the IAC valve resulted in no start but it did generate a P1504 (iac valve circuit malfunction). A subsequent test of the harness connector with the key on/engine not running showed no power at the connector. A similar test at the pcm (eec) fuse showed power (key on/engine not running). I am open to suggestions for resolution (including location for finding replacement harnesses as harnesses for this year and model are exceedingly difficult to find in this area).