Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

98 Taurus Circuit Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Default 98 Taurus Circuit Malfunction

Trying to get my car smogged - the emissions are fine but check engine light keeps coming up and I can't afford to have someone else fix it at the moment.

The code reader gives:

P0100 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction
P0110 - Intake Air Temperature Circuit Malfunction
P0115 - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Malfunction
P0120 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Malfunction
P1600 - Ford Computer Outputs

A friend suggested I check all my fuses - they're all fine. These codes come back on immediately after clearing them also, so can't sneak it in to get it smogged quickly. Kinda lost as to what to do.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 10-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Default RE: 98 Taurus Circuit Malfunction

Hey Guys,

My friend and I troubleshot it (well... actually it was mostly him) and in the end unplugging the computer and plugging it back in solved the problem! Sort of a relief and frustrating at the same time.

Now I'm just trying to get all the damn monitors set before two legit codes get thrown: 135 and 155, which are both O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1) and (Bank 1 Sensor 2).

It seems strange to me that these are also Circuit Malfunctions, but they are the only ones that pop up now so they appear to be legitimate. What's strange is that they get thrown almost randomly. Sometimes every time I check they get thrown, and then they don't get triggered for days.

Do you have an idea of what might cause this? It doesn't appear to have to do with temperature either, because I've started up very cold and driven until the car was all warmed up without them getting thrown. I have had them thrown after the car had already been driven and warmed up previously. Sometimes it throws them in the former (cold to hot) situation and NOT in the latter (already warmed-up) sitiuation. Just seems random to me.

Well anyway, I'll probably just drive around until I get lucky (apparently it's harder to set the EVAP system monitor at high altitude - any advice on this problem would be helpful). I just wanted to let you guys know what solved this problem for the next poor fool that happens along.

Gaelriad