Remove alternator from above engine in 99 Contour - Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Go Back  Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners > Past Ford Models > Ford Contour
Reload this Page >

Remove alternator from above engine in 99 Contour

Ford Contour While only built on a short time span, the Contour was very popular with people of all driving styles, from the base model making for a great family car, to the SVT making a great track toy.

Remove alternator from above engine in 99 Contour

Old 02-25-2018, 05:07 PM
Default Remove alternator from above engine in 99 Contour

Was wondering how to remove an alternator from above the engine in my wife's 99. I have 2 questions; first, the lower bolt does not have enough room to be fully removed. I watched a youtube video for a 98 that required an access panel to be removed from finder well, yet this model doesn't have the panel though it seemingly needs around 1 extra inch beyond the finder. How can this be done without drilling a hole in the finder well? Second, the video also explained removing the alternator from under the car (through the non existing access panel). The alternator seems to be pretty much in a normal place under the hood where the vid for the 98 has the alternator lower - around where the tensioner pulley is on my model.

Other than the bolt issue my repair seems pretty routine. It seems that I will have to remove part of the air intake before the fuel injection, but other than that remove the bolts/cables and remove from under the hood as with any other vehicle I've worked on. Is this correct, or will it in fact have to be taken out the bottom through finder somehow? And assuming this is correct (don't really see any other way) how do I get that lower bolt past the fender?

TIA

Last edited by JSON; 02-25-2018 at 05:11 PM.