Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

1984 Crown Vic help, please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Default 1984 Crown Vic help, please.

The other day I pulled into a restaurant to use the bathroom, I come back out and go to start my car and it will not start. I tow it home and now cannot get it to start for the life of me. I have took out the spark plugs they are all getting spark, I tested the coil, it is getting spark. Looked at the carb and it is getting gas to it. I have poured gas into the carb and it at least sounds like it is grumbling but won't start. Also, I have tested the fuel pump and filter etc and there all fine. Someone did suggest that it may have come suddenly out of time, but I have no way to test this since it will not start. I used a code reader on it and the codes came back 11, 18 and 42 but all of these do not seem to hinder it from starting. Any suggestions on what to try next would be greatly appreciated. One last thing, someone suggested that I pour a tiny amount of gas into a few spark plugs hole and try to start it, I tried that and it did not start.

This is a 5.0 car.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:01 AM

Please, any help at all? I have tried everything that I can think of, just trying to get an idea of what to try here is all.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

If it jumped time enough, (grumbling) it may backpop out the intake, and/or backfire/pop out the exhaust.. You can always hand crank the engine over to bring up the timing marks,, comp stroke #1,, pull the cap and then check that the rotor is aimed just before #1 on the cap position.. If you have an inductive timing light it doesn't need to start to check correct timing, although easier to see running.. As long as the engine is cranked and a good hot spark present the strobe still fires.. If checking for a decent spark at the coil lead, it should be able to jump 1/2+ 'easy' to a good ground and blueish in color.. A white/weak spark may indicate an ignition problem..