General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1984 Crown Vic LTD won't turn over.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Default 1984 Crown Vic LTD won't turn over.

I have an '84 LTD, 5.0, 302, will not turn over. I have tested the starter twice, she passed, The battery is juiced up, works in other cars, back up battery is brand new too. Terminals are scraped clean, terminal clamps are good.

I can get the starter to turn by bypassing solenoid, i can get solenoid to function by hooking hot wire from solenoid's "S" terminal to battery directly. Battery has 13 volts, wires after solenoid and two solenoid have 13 volts and work.

Brand new ig switch, other 2 had the same results but i question if they were the problem at all. Tried it in park, not in neutral though.

Idk what else to do, car must be running by wednesday.

Also i did rebuild the engine with new head gaskets and piston rings, dont know if thats important, it did run before i rebuilt it. it has its fluids and lubricants though so thats no issue

If I do have to bypass the ignition switch with a relay does anyone have wiring schematics? I was told this on another site:
Constant 12 volts 2 - YELLOWS
Ignition 12 volts RED / LIGHT GREEN
Ignition #2 GRAY / YELLOW (HEAT/AC)
Accessory BLACK / L GREEN
Starter RED / LIGHT BLUE

I can find the yellows and the ACC but not the Starter or ignition 12 volt wires with those colors. The autozone website manual doesn't provide that info. Does anyone else know it?

Last edited by One to Remember; 05-20-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:41 PM

You are in the ball park questioning the neutral safety switch.
This is what you need to do; get a test lite and connect the ground clip to the negative battery post. The starter relay on the fender well gets energized from the ign switch through the neutral safety switch then on to the relay on the fender. The color of the wire at the relay S terminal should be one of the wires at the neutral safety switch. While having someone turn the key to the start position see if you have voltage coming from the ign switch to the neutral safety switch, one of the wires there should lite the test lite. If not there is a break in that wire. If you do get a lite, check for the same color wire that goes to the relay on the fender, it should lite the test lite when held in the start position. If it causes the lite to lite then there is a break in the wire from the neutral safety switch to the relay S terminal of the relay.
If you get no lite coming out of the neutral safety switch, it is either defective or out of adjustment.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:26 PM

i tried to just turn the whole thing over today with the bypass to just have the battery strait up juice the solenoid and even then it wouldnt fully turn over it would rotate but no fire.