Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

1988 Ltd Crown Victoria Ethanol Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 01:06 PM
Default 1988 Ltd Crown Victoria Ethanol Issues

I have a 1988 Ltd CV, in the owners manual it says that 10% ethanol in gas is acceptable but if I put ethanol gas in the tank by the next day the fuel pump will not run. Does anyone know how to fix this because non-ethanol gas is expensive. I have tried additives and they dont work.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:43 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here,
Is this correct , you are using standard 10% ethanol and the fuel pump refuses to run?

If this is so, I can't offer any reasonable explanation for why this should happen. Unless there is some special piece of equipment on your vehicle , it should work fine with 10% ethanol..
I would be a little suspicious of the fuel pump module (pump motor and fuel gauge sending unit) . If it is original and never has been replaced, that could be why it might be so fussy. Someone needs to confirm power is getting to the fuel pump when it doesn't seem to want to run.
Would you know where this vehicle came from before you purchased it? Did this just start recently or was it always a problem?

Old 06-21-2019, 10:52 AM
Default Reply

Originally Posted by hanky
Maybe I'm missing something here,
Is this correct , you are using standard 10% ethanol and the fuel pump refuses to run?

If this is so, I can't offer any reasonable explanation for why this should happen. Unless there is some special piece of equipment on your vehicle , it should work fine with 10% ethanol..
I would be a little suspicious of the fuel pump module (pump motor and fuel gauge sending unit) . If it is original and never has been replaced, that could be why it might be so fussy. Someone needs to confirm power is getting to the fuel pump when it doesn't seem to want to run.
Would you know where this vehicle came from before you purchased it? Did this just start recently or was it always a problem?
Sorry....kind of misleading the fuel pump has to be replaced after pumping ethanol gas.The fuel pump has been replaced 6 times because of ethanol gas ruining it. Power is getting to the pump, the pump is controlled by the ecu, and the level sensor and pump are two seperate units. I know there is no system installed because the car has been in my family since new. This has always been a problem. The car is completely stock.

Last edited by That.one_wagon; 06-21-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:24 AM

There is an old expression among mechanics, If after putting in 4 starters and it stillwon't turn over, Guess what,,,,,,,, It ain't the starter !!!!!!!!

I believe your vehicle's problem is not fuel pumps ruined by 10% ethanol gas.

Either the fuel pumps are "poor quality" or every time they remove and install a replacement they temporarily correct a poor electrical connection.
Yes the power to the pump is controlled by the ECM and fuel pump relay, but what about the other half of the system , the ground connection.. Loads of fuel pumps get replaced as defective when they are good because the diagnosis was faulty and not thorough.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:35 AM

There is an old expression among mechanics, If after putting in 4 starters and it stillwon't turn over, Guess what,,,,,,,, It ain't the starter !!!!!!!!

I believe your vehicle's problem is not fuel pumps ruined by 10% ethanol gas.

Either the fuel pumps are "poor quality" or every time they remove and install a replacement they temporarily correct a poor electrical connection.
Yes the power to the pump is controlled by the ECM and fuel pump relay, but what about the other half of the system , the ground connection.. Loads of fuel pumps get replaced as defective when they are good because the diagnosis was faulty and not thorough.
The fuel pumps will run fine on ethanol free gas, in fact I just drove the thing on non ethanol but if ethanol gas is put in the tank it essentially dissolves the pump.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:49 AM

I guess there is a first time for everything.

Can I inquire where the replacement pumps are being purchased? Are they from a reputable manufacturer?

Do you always purchase gas in the same place?

Now you have aroused my curiosity . We all know hi ethanol content is damaging to regular fuel system parts and there is a quick check to determine % ethanol in fuel. That is available on U Tube.
Suggest you check and confirm if you are getting fuel with too much ethanol in it . If that could be the case , other folks should be experiencing the same problem..

Last edited by hanky; 06-21-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:01 PM

I guess there is a first time for everything.

Can I inquire where the replacement pumps are being purchased? Are they from a reputable manufacturer?

Do you always purchase gas in the same place?
The fuel pumps have been from multiple different manufacturers. I purchase non-ethanol from the only local place that sells it, the store is personally owned not a chain. If I get gas with ethanol it's usually from the BP or Greers Grocery near me which is run in all my cars and families cars and hasn't damaged them.

Last edited by That.one_wagon; 06-21-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:15 PM

There has to be a reason for these pumps going south,
I would suggest that you return the pumps to the place of purchase and see why they are causing so much trouble. If the manufacturer gets one of them you should get their assessment of what is causing the problem.
I believe there is either a problem with the quality (especially if imported) or the fuel itself. From what you state there is a chemical reaction involved here.

What are some of those manufacturers?

Old 06-21-2019, 12:19 PM

There has to be a reason for these pumps going south,
I would suggest that you return the pumps to the place of purchase and see why they are causing so much trouble. If the manufacturer gets one of them you should get their assessment of what is causing the problem.
I believe there is either a problem with the quality (especially if imported) or the fuel itself. From what you state there is a chemical reaction involved here.

What are some of those manufacturers?
I only remember the last one put in it was a spectra, I think other ones have been spectra too. The thing I find interesting is that it isnt just that car, it has eaten the lines off a lawnmower and weed wacker and ruined the carburetor on another lawnmower and this gas was from other places too.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:52 PM

If the actual problem is the dissolving of components of the pump assy, I would with the next pump replacement get a brand name like Motorcraft,or Carter, .
I have never heard of spectra and have no knowledge of their origin or quality.Many times that box says Made in USA and that means only the box.

I have had problems with various fuel burning tools , trimmers, chain saws etc., with fuel lines getting soft and swelling causing all sorts of problems. using 10% ethanol gas.
Are you using any kind of additives in the fuel tank/vehicle?

Quick Reply: 1988 Ltd Crown Victoria Ethanol Issues