Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

2002 Ignition switch connector "backing plate" ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 05:40 PM
Default 2002 Ignition switch connector "backing plate" ?

Hi all. On this 2002 Mercury Grand Marquis I'm working on, I changed the ignition switch because of excessive resistance across the switch terminals - between 50 and 250 ohms! On the back of the ignition switch connector, on this particular car, is a gray "backing plate". Its' purpose is presumably to hold in each of the female terminals in the connector, so that there is minimal loss of contact, both during installation and on an ongoing basis. Please note that this is _not_ the gray plastic piece that comes with new ignition switches and gets placed down inside the ignition switch's side of the connector. I'm referring to the gray backing plate that sits on the back of the female connector. I broke the fingers on this gray backing plate (the ones that stick into the connector to hold it into place) and now I can't find the backing plate itself. I wasn't too keen on trying to epoxy the fingers back on to begin with, but now it seems i'll need a new one if I want to put this car back to original.

Does anyone have a part number for this?

If it helps, I *think* I can see it in this picture, it's the gray thing on the bottom of the steering column:

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/2...ver-remove.jpg

Old 02-13-2014, 05:45 PM

One more pic.. these pics are really hard to come by:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2py2e0j.jpg

It's the gray thing sitting above the rusty metal "support bridge".