Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

89 Crown Vic LX - Starts Easily, Then Stalls Out

Old 05-16-2019, 12:16 PM
Default 89 Crown Vic LX - Starts Easily, Then Stalls Out

1989 Ford Crown Victoria LX 4 Dr - 302 Eng, PS, PB, Air.

I started a thread on this problem back in November of 2018 (I think). Then, thinking I was still 18, jumped off the tailgate of my F150, the action of which spun me around and went into a backwards fall. Hitting the ground, back-wise, full force, and liking to knocking my brains out plus a rehashing of a cancer thing, this thread was put on hold & restarted here... hope that's okay. Originally thought I had a fuel pump problem, but since then have rethought that.
Engine starts easily after a couple revolutions like always and runs smoothly but only for a few seconds after which it begins to run rough and die out. To simply turn the key to the start position again has the engine restarting immediately once again but only to die out again.

Playing with the gas pedal, causing a continuous rpm increase/decrease continuation, I can keep the engine running but it is really a rough running engine... actually feels and sounds like it running out of time. Eventually, after a few (4-5) minutes of this up/down rpm action, the engine continues to run (but rough) while holding the pedal still... and I can lower the rpms gradually to its idle setting where it seems to smooth out.

Shifting into gear, just starting to move, it still feels like it's running rough, but as a short time passes, and at a normal driving speed of 40 mph or so, the engine feels normal, smooth, no vibration... highway driving, pulling into a Wal*Mart or Post Office parking lot to park... the engine acts normally in all respects.

However, shutting the engine down for a store visit or whatever, a cooling off engine-wise of about perhaps10 or 15 minutes, the rough running engine starting routine is present once again but takes much less time to get it smoothed out.

Myself, being a mechanic, but in the marine line (boats/engines, etc), I'm inclined to think that if a fuel pump, which I originally thought was the problem, it would stall and that would be that! How I could drive it around town mystifies me.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:46 AM

Hi Joe,
You didn't mention if the fuel filter was ever changed, how do we stand with that?
To help pin down if the fuel system is doing what it should when it should, you might get hold of a fuel press gauge and see what the fuel pressure is when starting and running some. Post the readings here and, if necessary, maybe can offer some other suggestions. It does sound like it might be starving for fuel at times.

Take care.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

IAC, EGR, unmetered vacuum bleeds as well can greatly affect idle stability. Since the power and drivability seem good at cruise speeds I’d make sure on fuel pressure/volume is spec, and there’s no issues with IAC, and any EGR application at or off idle...