Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

97 Crown Vic no turn signals, 4-ways work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 09:13 PM
Default 97 Crown Vic no turn signals, 4-ways work.

Hello Everyone,
I've got a 97 Crown Vic LX and the turn signals won't engage, the hazards, wipers, and corner lights engage just not the directionals. I replaced the turnsignal fuse even though it didn't look blown. I've got a new LCM and ordered a new multifunction switch. I'll try the LCM first then the switch, if those don't fix it anyone run across this before? I got the car two years ago and I parked it till recently. I did the intake manifold and found signs of mice or chipmunks nesting and discovered the turnsignals didn't work. The battery was dead replaced that and now have a code 12 on the airbag. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks'

Old 09-30-2022, 04:41 AM

I would have further investigated possible wiring damage by the rodents before spending money on parts. Those rodents got to live on something and unfortunately they think wiring is a good source of protein.

Last edited by raski; 09-30-2022 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:49 AM
Default Turn signals worked one day

Update, So I replaced every fuse in the box and the turn signals came to life, so to celebrate, several days later I installed new pads, rotors, calipers, and brake lines. Went on a test drive and the turn signals are out, again. I investigated Mickey and Mini's previous vacation home and found they relocated some insulation from under the hood to the trunk, but no obvious wire damage. Could this be a symptom of a LCM or an undiscovered gnawed wire?

Old 12-21-2022, 12:02 PM

Until you can check , it could be either or both.

If your vehicle stays parked outside, consider placing a few mouse traps in the trunk, one in the engine compartment and one or two in the inside of your vehicle one on the front floor and one on the rear floor. We would prefer to be disappointed, but those little creatures are looking for a warm safe place to spend the winter.
For some reason they dine on wire insulation while vacationing and leave us with challenges to find where their dining area was located.
Their dining can be quite troublesome and the damage can cause some real problems. I had an engine catch fire and did some real damage because of rodent damage.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Trford207
Hello Everyone,
I've got a 97 Crown Vic LX and the turn signals won't engage, the hazards, wipers, and corner lights engage just not the directionals. I replaced the turnsignal fuse even though it didn't look blown. I've got a new LCM and ordered a new multifunction switch. I'll try the LCM first then the switch, if those don't fix it anyone run across this before? I got the car two years ago and I parked it till recently. I did the intake manifold and found signs of mice or chipmunks nesting and discovered the turnsignals didn't work. The battery was dead replaced that and now have a code 12 on the airbag. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks'
UPDATE: I believe I had two problems going on at the same time. I replaced the Light Control Module (LCM) and the turn signals worked intermittently until I realized they would work every time I pulled back slightly on the multifunction switch. I haven't replaced the switch yet but I'm confident that will solve the problem. So if I had to do this all over again I would start with the multifunction switch as its a $24 part whereas the LCM was $165.