Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

All steamed up about my coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 05:09 AM
Default All steamed up about my coolant leak

Guess I might as well settle in here as a regular the way this cars going. Got a 2011 Vic w 280k that seems to have developed a heater box coolant leak over the course of a couple hours yesterday. Defrost stopped working (in the rain) and eventually steam started pouring out the dash vents. The engine began to overheat same time the steam started so I pulled it over to cool off for an hour and nurse myself back to health with a beer. Got back in for the leg home and noticed about 1/4 cup of coolant on the pass floor board mat. So it was no surprise when she started overheating again after about 3-4 miles. The reservoir drank about 2 gals of distilled water and that got her the rest of the way in.

Testing back at the house reveals a pouring leak coming out the bottom of the car right on top of the cat converters way back at the firewall. Crawling underneath, the leak was seen to be coming from a short 1" tube that sticks out from the firewall right above the cat. Not for sure but I would almost bet this is a drainage tube for when the heater core springs a leak.

How likely is this to be my heater box (don't see how it couldn't be) and what do I start doing to get it swapped out? Just got the big heavy shop manual so that'll be a help. I've seen some youtube heater core swap out videos but the closest they come to my year is maybe a 2003.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:12 AM

I can't tell you exactly what you need to remove to get the heater core out, but WEATHER PERMITTING,, If you remove the heater hoses from the heater tubes, you can place a piece of copper tubing or something similar between the heater hoses and clamp them to that coupler, then refill the cooling system and you should be able to drive the car to obtain whatever parts you need, you just will have no heat. Your manual should provide step by step instructions to remove the heater core. Now,, before you leave , I would check all the other cooling system hoses, (upper and lower radiator hoses) and if soft or any question replace them while you have the coolant out .Once this is done it should provide some piece of mind regarding the coolant system hoses. Let's hope it didn't get too hot before you shut it down.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Good advice. ^^

Being it’s high mileage and if the cooling system overall condition was sort of an unknown, I’d bypass the core and again pressure test the system. Running it under normal conditions as a check, or, better would be to use a system pressure tester on it to test it’s integrity under max specs. Rad, head gaskets, pump, primary/secondary hoses etc. Any possibilities of leak/weep points..

If you need shop info on the job, let me know..

Old 12-16-2018, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the good advice. I'm fairly sure it didn't overheat too much. Just sort of made it's way toward the high end but nothing too drastic.

Is that what that short tube is coming out the firewall...a drainage tube for a heater core failure? Couldn't imagine what else it could be. Since this is a terribly big job for me, and yes WEATHER PERMITTING is a BIG factor here, I just need someone to say 'YES! it's the dang heater core stupid' to start opening the dash.

Haya that information would be spectacular. There are so many nuts and bolts 'way back there' in the videos I've seen that I'm sure my 2011 model is gonna have something different than the older crown vic model videos on youtube. Tried to send you a PM but the system said your message inbox was full. My email address is just my name here on the board @ gmail.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Yes,, the tube is a chamber/case drain..

If there's any doubt, the core can be pressure tested by itself using the coolant hoses and tester.
Sent you some info..

Last edited by Hayapower; 12-16-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:26 PM

After thinking about it some more I'm sure it's gotta be the heater core. I'll probably do the pressure test before dismantling the entire dash but other than a bad core I can't imagine what would make coolant pour out of the drain hole like that.

Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 12-16-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:13 PM

Just looked at the info. Does this job def require taking the steering wheel off? In the videos I think they just drop the column, disconnect the dash and pull the right side out far enough to do the swap.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Given its current mileage, Hmmm
But even so, I'd tend to lean towards a MC over an aftermarket. Radiators and cores vary in quality by country of origin, price right behind..
All replacement cores should have to follow OE build specs., certainly, they do not..

Old 12-16-2018, 08:11 PM

Yep I went ahead with the MC. Better safe than sorry.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

I always liked the adage,,' Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over!'...
Cheap, usually yields the second part of the statement..

Quick Reply: All steamed up about my coolant leak