Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

A couple P71 questions from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Default A couple P71 questions from a newbie

1. Can anyone help me find a set of plugs or a kit to fill the extra antenna holes on a P71 that was recently stripped and removed from Police service? Just bought a 2003 with 88K miles on it, super clean all over but the antenna/accessory holes are just covered with duct tape at the moment.

2. What's the best method for removing what's left of the Sherriff's Department vinyls without damaging the paint?

3. We found a couple of decent generic aftermarket center consoles (and a couple nicely embroidered with "P71 Police Interceptor" on the armrest), but I'm curious about the extra power supply that was used for the original police console. Is there an aftermarket console that makes use of that extra power? I'm not looking to mount a laptop or anything, but some extra 12V sockets would be nice.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

You can get rubber body hole plugs (or just hole plugs) at a lot of the auto parts houses, or even some of the home supply stores will have them in their assorment isles. Another option that I've done is go to the local dismantler yard and pop them out of donor cars. Anytime I was there, I grab all sorts of sizes and shapes. There's also the chrome snap/push in type hole plugs, but require them to be sealed.

For the decals, there are decal removing wheels (3-4" diameter) that go in a die grinder or drill that look like a pencil eraser compound and they'll strip the decals without harming the paint.

Sometimes just a heat gun and working on the film will get them loose. Warm/heat a decent size area and start at the corner and peel it back slowly, sometimes 'heat as go' works well in front of your travel. Then, use a adhesive remover like 3M's or similar product will remove any residue.. Some of the transfers are thin and a wheel type remover works very well, and on the thicker films a heat gun may be quicker. Just depends on what type.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
...Sometimes just a heat gun and working on the film will get them loose. Warm/heat a decent size area and start at the corner and peel it back slowly, sometimes 'heat as go' works well in front of your travel. Then, use a adhesive remover like 3M's or similar product will remove any residue.. Some of the transfers are thin and a wheel type remover works very well, and on the thicker films a heat gun may be quicker. Just depends on what type.
Thanks for the advice, Hayapower!

The decals were fairly thick. The heat gun/adhesive remover regimen worked great. The only problem areas are where the Sheriff's Office appears to have used a die grinder to partially remove the gold star and the word 'sheriff' while decommissioning the vehicle. It looks like we're going to have to do something a bit more aggressive in these areas.

Pics to come soon!