Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

Door locks, power seats inop, need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:51 PM
Question Door locks, power seats inop, need help

Hello,

I have a 2002 Crown Vic LX (P74). My power door locks, door key pad, trunk release, fuel door release, and power seats all stopped worked recently (from both driver and passenger switches). All the windows still work ok.

I checked the easy stuff; fuses and circuit breaker. Sometimes when I hit the lock button, I get a faint ‘click’ from the driver door module (DDM). Other times, I get nothing. Sometimes when I’m driving, the auto-lock keeps trying to lock the doors because I can hear the DDM clicking. Other times, there’s nothing.

I’ve been inside the door, checking connections. There’s no obvious wire breaks or chaffing from what I can see in the door and inside the rubber conduit that runs from the door to the car. I’ve checked for voltage at the switch and that is good. I even got another DDM from the junk yard just to see if it would run the door locks, and I get the same intermittent clicking from that DDM. So that leads me to think there is a problem with a wire somewhere.

Any advice as to what I should check or which wires are most likely to fail? If nothing else, is there a way I can hot wire the thing just so I can at least get the power seats working? I could live with manual door locks, but not being able to move the seats at all is a bit of a problem when my wife needs to use the car.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate any and all help!
Steve

Last edited by love shack; 01-05-2015 at 12:51 PM. Reason: format text
Old 01-05-2015, 02:27 PM

There are times when another module will not allow the other modules to communicate and function. This may require a scan tool to check "module health" and if there is a problem with another module in the system it will show which one. Might be the better way to go.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:26 PM

Thanks - I hadn't thought of that. This car has 175K miles on it and I'm hoping to avoid a trip to the dealership for a diagnosis. I just wanted to make sure I exhausted all other possibilities before giving up. I have the Ford workshop manuals and have been trying the diagnostic steps, but of course without the special scan tool, there's only so much I can do I suppose.

thanks,
Steve

Old 01-05-2015, 09:00 PM

It is not necessary to visit a dealership if you find a shop that has a good scan tool and the tech knows how to check the modules.