Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

No Turn signals or hazard flashers

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Default No Turn signals or hazard flashers

I Have a question if anyone could help me out. I have no turn signals or hazard flashers working in my car. I have a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis (basically the same as the crown vic). These vehicles don't have a flasher module for the turn signals , but they have a lighting control module. I'm wondering how I can tell if the lighting control module is bad or if it is the multifunction switch. I've checked all the fuses and circuit breakers that had to do with the lights or lighting control. They are all good. When I use the stick for the turn signals, the cornering lights come on on the side I switch to. Also, the rest of the functions on the turn stick (multifunction switch) seem to work normally. Is there any way to test the lighting control module or the multifunction switch to see which may be the problem. I'm good with electronics, reading schematics, and I own simple test equipment like a OBD2 code reader and a multimeter. The Haynes manual I have only shows incomplete electrical diagrams and no way to test these items. I've checked the past forum posts for any answers, but didn't find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. [sm=vader1.gif]

Old 02-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Default RE: No Turn signals or hazard flashers

hey...

we had that problem on one of the cruisers we have at the police department where i work. it ended up being a fuse that was still good but something was messed up with it, also it was that thing you were talking about (not sure what it was but it was something like the lighting control mod.). just take your car down to autozone or something along those lines and have them plug it in for you. oh yah by the way they will do it for free.

luke

Old 03-01-2006, 09:28 PM

More than likely it is the multi-function switch. These are the most common failure on this body car for your problem. usually the LCM will cause a quick flashing of the signals or flashers, not kill them. Also the multi-function is a lot cheaper.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:29 PM

It was the multi-function switch. When I jiggled the hazard switch, the turn signals were functional again. Found it out by accident. Yeah, the multi-function switch was a heck of a lot cheaper than the lighting control module. Rreplaced the multi-function switch and all was right again. Thanks for the help.

[sm=vader1.gif]

Old 11-03-2008, 05:06 AM

Any info. on how to test a multi. function switch before buying a new one? I have the same problem as Demon.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:03 AM

Thanks for the post demon! I was able to get mine working based on what you had said. I wish I had looked on here a week earlier.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:58 PM

A temporary fix is to spray electric contact cleaner down the hole where the Hazard button is and operate the hazard and turn signals and spray again. It makes it last a little longer.