Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

Power Washed '99 4.6L Crown Vic engine - now blue smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Default Power Washed '99 4.6L Crown Vic engine - now blue smoke

After all of the electrical equipment (except the plugs) in the engine compartment was covered with plastic so that the electrical equipment would not be subject to any water intrusion, the engine was power washed. After washing and blowing out as much water as possible out of the connectors and the plugs, the car started. However, it was missing (and the CHECK ENGINE light went on and off about three times and then came on and stayed on (and continues to stay on) and lacked power was driven and glided this way for about 3 miles (to get the car home) in the expectation that the engine heat would dry out the source of the problem. The engine would not run without missing until the second day after it had been washed when the engine ran without missing. However blue smoke (presumably oil burning) comes out of the passenger side exhaust pipe.

What damage could I have done that is causing the blue smoke to come from one of the two exhaust pipes?

How do I get rid of the CHECK ENGINE light?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Default RE: Power Washed '99 4.6L Crown Vic engine - now blue smoke

Some parts store will read the codes. Have them clear the codes, my guess is the code, is going to be cylinder missing code. Not much damage can be done by washing the engine, I don't cover anything and haven't had any problems. Sure the blue smoke wasn't there before? How many miles on the car?

Old 09-13-2005, 08:38 PM

The car is a one owner car well cared for and carefully driven with 60,000 miles (mostly city) on it.

Could the blue smoke have resulted from engine damage created by driving the car with one or more cylinders not working?

The car has not been burning oil and I have not seen the blue smoke previously when I have watched the car being started and driven away by my wife.

Thanks for you response.

Old 09-14-2005, 02:51 PM

No, driving the car with one or more cylinder not working can't hurt engine. Blue smoke most be burning oil thou [sm=proof.gif]

Old 09-14-2005, 05:10 PM

Thanks, I agree but do not understand why.

Cleared codes and am going to spend some time on Friday night with a friend trying to determine why this is happening. Maybe do a compression test and use whatever other diagnostic equipment he has.

While I thought that the miss was no longer an issue after I drove the car about 6 miles, the car began to hesitate sporadically just at a certain speed (=/- 25mph) and on one or two occasions felt rough at idle.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:36 AM

Removed coils and rubber boots from all eight plugs. Found water (which was still there after a week of engine heat) around plugs. Used high power air gun to blow out water that was still around plugs and causing missing. Cleared codes. Service engine light no longer comes on.

Apparently this is a common problem on the 4.6L Ford engines. If the engine is washed, the preceding steps may have be taken. Dealers who sub out their detailing often follow the above routine.

Will monitor for blue smoke. Do not understand where that came from.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:06 PM

Sometimes when a Piston or two isnt fireing a Engine will burn oil. Dont ask me why but ive seen numerous 351's do it.

later,
Dustin

Old 10-08-2005, 08:02 PM

A power washer can force water into places that are otherwise watertight. I wonder if you didn't get water into the cam cover via the plug holes that diluted the oil, or maybe got into the crankcase; when you started the car you gave it a shot of water. I hope you didn't do any permanent damage.

Another thing to be aware of is that knock sensors are sensitive microphones that can be damaged by a high pressure hit of water. I damaged a pair on a car once just with a high pressure hose nozzle. I'm not saying this happened to you, but I wanted to point out a reason why power washers are not the greatest things to use on engines.