Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

'00 E150 conversion, poor handling and steering

Old 08-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Default '00 E150 conversion, poor handling and steering

I recently purchased a 2000 E150 conversion van with 100k miles on it. Love everything about the van (and I've been a happy F150 owner for about 15 years), but it has some serious handling issues... my F150 is a 2002, so I expected a similar ride... No way!!

The van is pretty good driving in the city, but over 50mph on the highway the steering kinda wanders, bumps in the road try to turn the wheel, and it can become challenging to control. For example, I was trying to change lanes and the lane divider was a little chewed up-- as soon as the right side wheels hit the divider, the van swerved pretty hard. Steering inputs are strange; there's no slop in the wheel, but it takes a certain amount of input before the steering responds, and then it seems to all catch up at once, making it easy to over control.

There already is a Monroe steering damper installed, which looks to be in good shape. Had the front end, steering and suspension inspected and everything looked tight, including the ball joints which seem to be the common issue with these vans. There was slop in the tie rods so they were replaced, but that didn't do a darn thing except make the van lighter by thinning out my wallet.

Not really sure what to try next. I'm considering replacing the ball joints anyway, but I'm pretty much already over budget and I'd like to put some serious miles on this thing (it's a touring band van now). I'm pretty concerned about driving this thing in deteriorated road conditions. Could use some guidance or recommendations for experts Chicago... or maybe these things just handle like a drunken hippo?

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2017, 06:13 AM

Sometimes handling can be affected by things in the rear of the suspension. Might be a good idea to have a reputable alignment shop check it over. Weight distribution can get into the picture also. Usually what we try to do is find what is really worn or wrong and then correct it . Replacing good parts not only costs unnecessary expense ,but gets quite disappointing too! Have someone that knows what to look for check it out, once!

Old 02-04-2023, 09:11 AM

Researching the internet and seeing as so many people are having the same steering and handling issues with the ford vans around 1999. And I keep reading that everyone is replacing similar parts. So it must be other parts that are specifically to ford Vans like the I-beam bushings. I don't read much about that being replaces. And why does it get worse at speeds over 50 or 60. At that speed it seams like a mechanic cannot test components under that pressure on components with slight turning movement on the tires.

This is what I replaces so far the normal stuff:
1) Ball Joints
2) Inner and outer tie rods and linkage
3) New tires
4) Alignment
5) Radius Arm Bushings

Planning to replace
1) I-Beam Bushings - specific to all ford vans with I-Beam suspension
2) Sway Bar bushings
3) Steering box
4) check if any u-joints in the steering shaft. Have not checked yet.

Well any ideas or if you found the solution please let us know.
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-05-2023, 09:35 AM

Suggest you have a shop that knows how to check and adjust steering box adjustments.

Very few know how to do it and some take shortcuts which do not solve the problem.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by pvaldeben
Researching the internet and seeing as so many people are having the same steering and handling issues with the ford vans around 1999. And I keep reading that everyone is replacing similar parts. So it must be other parts that are specifically to ford Vans like the I-beam bushings. I don't read much about that being replaces. And why does it get worse at speeds over 50 or 60. At that speed it seams like a mechanic cannot test components under that pressure on components with slight turning movement on the tires.

This is what I replaces so far the normal stuff:
1) Ball Joints
2) Inner and outer tie rods and linkage
3) New tires
4) Alignment
5) Radius Arm Bushings

Planning to replace
1) I-Beam Bushings - specific to all ford vans with I-Beam suspension
2) Sway Bar bushings
3) Steering box
4) check if any u-joints in the steering shaft. Have not checked yet.

Well any ideas or if you found the solution please let us know.
Thanks in advance.
Hey mate, did you have any luck fixing this wandering issue? We have a band van, 1999 E-150 and it seemed fine when we first bought it last year, only 60K miles on it, but then we replaced the ball joints and shocks and new Cooper tires and all the sudden it was sketchy as hell driving over 60mph. We then had the tires swapped out with spec Michelin tires and that didn't help. Had a really good alignment shop re-align and that helped a bit but not by much, and they verified the tie rods and recently replaced ball joints seemed OK. Then we replaced the gear box to no affect. Gonna add a sway bar and replace the i-beam bushings next. We need to drive this thing on tour across the US and it doesn't feel safe. Thanks for any advice you can offer! Cheers!

Sebastian

Old 06-22-2023, 04:45 AM

If a good shop verifies all mechanical parts are as good as new , then the only thing left is tires . Sometimes the brands we knew to be great turn out to be otherwise.