Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

06 E-450 Class C motor home steering

Old 06-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Default 06 E-450 Class C motor home steering

Hello all.

First thank you for the forum. I own a 2003 Ford Ranger as well but my question today is about our 2006 E-450 chassis class C motor home.

When we first bought it used almost 3 years ago, it had very loose steering. The dealer told us it's "normal" for Fords in the E series.

I doubted him so took it to have alignment done. They did say it was off. It still had a lot of play in it. Was told that the drag link could use replacing. So I had that done, and re-aligned. All other linkages are good from what I was told by 2nd alignment tech.

I still have 4 to 6 inches of steering play. I've driven semi trucks that were from the early 70's that didn't have this much play in them!

Could the steering box be worn out? This motor home was bought by the dealer NEW, and he used it as a rental till we bought it.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:45 PM

Usually if all the joints and steering linkage are checked from under the vehicle and watched for any looseness while moving the steering wheel with the engine running and the vehicle parked that should reveal any unusual looseness. A good part of the time the steering box sector shaft adjustment needs to be adjusted to remove the excess steering wheel movement (ply). It's not a big deal, but I would just look for a good shop that has an experienced tech and he can make a few checks and confirm whether anything more is required.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:51 PM

I've looked just now my self while someone turned the wheel, both engine off and with it on and watched each joint, could not feel or see anything lose. I do hear some sound from the gear box tho.

When you talk about the "sector shaft", is that inside the box?

A local Ford dealer who works the larger E's, quoted me $130.00 for an hour and half inspection which would apply to any work if needed. Is that a fair price to look at it?

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2016, 03:05 PM

I would ask just what does that include ? Since you already checked for any looseness in the steering linkage and found none , it all comes down to the steering box . The sector shaft is the shaft that comes out of the side of the steering box. It generally has two pointed bearings that mesh with the worm gear on the steering box input shaft. If something is worn internally, the box would need to be opened up and inspected further. When there are worn internal parts , sometimes it is better in the long run to just replace the entire box. I would suggest that you shop around and get some different estimates. Stay away from the mass merchandizers , usually have quotas to meet. Check out the internet for a little info on steering box parts etc. Once you have an idea of what is in there , the mystery disappears.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:45 AM

Are the boxes adjustable on those? They are on some vehicles. I know I have adjusted Chevy steering boxes.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:58 AM

Yes, they are. A lot depends on how much and where any wear has taken place. Most times just an adjustment is all that is required.