Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1990 econoline sputtering popping

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Default 1990 econoline sputtering popping

hi all, I have a 1990 ford econoline 150 with the 5.8 liter that was running fine and then just over night when i give it gas it sputters/misses and pops out the throttle body some times, i did put some gas in the rear tank that i had in a gas can, i figured maybe there was water in it so i switched to the front tank and put new gas in at the station and its still running the same. i have changed the cap and rotor and the fuel pressure regulator. now im stuimped. anyone got any idea's? would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-04-2015, 07:00 AM

Suggest you change the fuel filter. You may have corrected one problem, and created another with questionable fuel. When you remove the fuel filter tip it in the direction opposite of the direction fuel normally goes in , and see what comes out of the filter.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:08 AM

Just a thought...If you have a stand-alone ignition coil, you may just have a tired one. When they get tired, they find it harder to fire the plugs properly under compression. As the timing advances, it makes it even harder to fire properly and on as the spark is weak.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:51 AM

thanks guys, ill give it a try

Old 10-05-2015, 06:46 PM

welp guys same thing, i replaced the coil and I also noticed a wrecking yard ignition control module so i replaced that as well and a new fule filter and still the same. I checked the fuel pressure and its right around 32-35 at idle and when i rev it it goes up to about 43-45 ish now im to the pullin my hair out stage,heheh. if i give it gas slow it seems to rev fine but if i try rev it up fast acts like it missing untill it builds up some rpm's and if i push it to the floor quickly it will backfire out the throttle body some times. when its idling you can hear a slight miss but otherwise its idling great. it has 70k on it. maybe bad injector or 2? any thoughts?

Last edited by hick.man; 10-05-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:04 PM

Every so often we get hit in the head with "don't overlook the basics".
Now that means, when were the plugs last replaced, were they Motorcraft, it does make a difference ! How about the plug wires, cap rotor , they all are part of the picture. Plug gap is important.
If this vehicle was out in the rain there could be condensation inside the dist cap, have you checked that? Look closely for a cracked or off vacuum hose. Those are some of the first things that come to mind. (I don't have much room up there). Did you find any water in the fuel filter?

Old 10-05-2015, 07:20 PM

hi hank, i replaced the plugs (autolite) about 2k miles ago and gaped them at the correct setting, just put a new cap and rotor on the other day along with new wires. no rain here in weeks, cap and distributor are dry,, went through the vacuum hoses they all look great, no water in the filter but the when i shook the filter you could hear the cartridge in there bouncing around, so I imagine it wasnt filtering much

Old 10-06-2015, 01:59 PM

Did you notice the problem shortly after purchasing fuel ? Maybe some water got in there. Have you tried some "dry gas", or whatever you use to remove water in the fuel system ? If not yet, consider trying a bottle or two that contains isopropyl alcohol only.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:08 PM

yup i tried a few bottles of gas dryer and emptied tanks and put new gas in also. I noticed if i give it gas slower it doesnt seem to miss as much or pop put the intake, but if goose the throttle if misses/sputters and pops out the intake and seem to do it worse when the motor is warmed up

Old 10-06-2015, 03:04 PM

I believe we're getting to the point where a compression test is in order.

Quick Reply: 1990 econoline sputtering popping