Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1991 E350 Club Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 03:14 PM
Default 1991 E350 Club Wagon

Good afternoon all,

I recently picked up a 1991 E350 Club Wagon with the V8 and i am getting that hiccup people have talked while driving so I am going to replace the TPS but having a hard time trying to locate it. Where is the best resource to find these type of things?

Old 12-05-2023, 03:32 PM

The TPS is located on the side of the throttle body.

Before you wind up possibly replacing a good part, why not consider since you just got it and don't know it's maintenance history replace the fuel filter ?
To confirm the TPS might be defective, all you need to do is raise the RPM slightly and then tromp on it and see if it still hiccups? If it still does it,the TPS may not be the problem. Always a good idea to check the simple things first.

Don't forget to relieve the pressure in the fuel system before attempting to remove a pressurized fuel line.

Old 12-05-2023, 07:34 PM

So I have a complete service history of the van. Recently before I purchased it they changed spark plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, fuel line flush, o2 sensor, distributor cap. So tonight out of nowhere she would die at a stop light or stop sign as well as would die after I left off the accelerator as I am coming to that stop. Most of this work was done two weeks ago so very recent. Feels like it’s a fuel delivery issue or a vacuum leak somewhere. Areas to look at?

Old 12-06-2023, 03:35 AM

From your description, I would suspect a vacuum leak.

When so much has been done , that means there is so much to check because in the process of replacing things ,they could have cracked/broken a hose connected to a vacuum source.

Old 12-06-2023, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
From your description, I would suspect a vacuum leak.

When so much has been done , that means there is so much to check because in the process of replacing things ,they could have cracked/broken a hose connected to a vacuum source.
Could it possibly be a fuel pump issue?

Old 12-06-2023, 11:53 AM

That should be easy to prove.

You could rent a fuel pressure gauge and connect it to the fuel rail, see what kind of pressure you have and see if it drops at the time the engine quits.

If it stays the same, cant be a fuel supply problem.

Do you want to try that, before replacing a possible good fuel pump?

Old 12-06-2023, 12:00 PM

Good idea to try that first. I do have dual gas tanks and yesterday one of them was running low. I went out this morning, switched over to the more full tank and started her up just fine but started loping and sounded like it was gasping but after about 10 minutes the gasping slowly went away.

So another question would be, could there of been bad gas in the tank i was using ? I don't know when the last time either tank had been filled so its hard to determine.

Old 12-06-2023, 02:15 PM

What are your thoughts about putting some fuel in each tank when getting fuel. That way they will both have some fresh fuel in them.

Think about this, If one tank is almost empty and the in tank fuel pump decides to retire on the tank with all the fuel, what would you prefer to take place?
Never hurts to have some fuel in each tank and switch them from time to time , if possible.
Don't know how often you purchase fuel, but no need to fill all the time. What do you think?

Old 12-06-2023, 02:52 PM

I like that idea. I have gone out at different times today to crank her up and see if she lopes or dies and neither has happened now that I switched tanks. I am going to take her for a drive later today and see if i can replicate any of the symptoms i have had issues with.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:05 AM

So took her for a drive last night and ran into the same issues of sputtering when i come to a stop but i am also having a jerking motion sometimes when cruising, almost like she is gasping for for air. Still a vacuum issue or should i look at the electronic fuel pump or fuel filter?

Quick Reply: 1991 E350 Club Wagon