Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1992 E150 5.0 halts when running

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Default 1992 E150 5.0 engine stalls --- ISSUE SOLVED

Hello Everyone
I got a problem with this van and I simply can't find a solution. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Problem is when it is running the check engine lights on and the engine won't respond at all (It won't stop at one keeps running but if I push the pedal down won't respond to it) so I have to stop the car and the engine stalls. Yesterday I was driving in the city (around 35 mph) and it happened so I stop the van engine stalls and it took about five or seven try's for engine to run. Kept driving got into the freeway happened again but this time engine did not stop. Kept driving and it happened again, it took a few try's to get the engine running.

This are some of the things I already replaced on this van...

Ignition Coil
Ignition Module
Alternator
Fuel Pump
EGR
Distributor Cap
Ignition Rotor
Spark Plugs
Fuel Filter

Just a few of the things I already replaced, not because of this particular problem but all of these parts have been replaced recently no more than 5 months some just a few weeks ago

I been looking around for faulty connections everything appears fine

So I'm gonna ask a stupid question, there is any chance that rear axle is causing this problem? I see a sensor on it (I think is the speed sensor) but the thing is as I already wrote engine won't stall at once it keeps running simply won't respond to gas so I have to get out the road once the van speed lowers the engine stops, then it takes a few try's to get engine running again sometimes a few minutes.
I'm thinking if axle oil level is low engine stops as a protection? I know it happens to some cars with the engine, maybe same thing with the rear axle?
I know is a stupid question but I'm just shooting in the dark

The computer?

Has anyone had this problem before?

If so, how did you solve it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated since I need the van to work.

Thank you for your time.

Atte
Hector

Last edited by hbvtux; 10-03-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Issue has been solved
Old 09-22-2011, 05:35 PM

Just because some parts were replaced recently doesn't mean one couldn't be defective now.
Since the computer is trying to tell you something via the check engine light it would be a wise move to get the code(s) from it.
Throwing a suggestion is just that, but it is possible the EGR system may be causing you some grief.
If you can get the code(s) , post them here and we should be able to assist you.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:22 AM

Hi Hanky I wanted to ask one thing, how we can find out which part is original and which one is duplicate. There are some duplicate parts which looks exactly like original but they are not.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Default 1992 Ford E150 stalls - ISSUE SOLVED

Ok first it took me a long time to get back to you but I simply wanted to wait to see if problem was fixed and I'm glad to say it is.
So if you have the same problem (motor stalls) as me and you have the same 1992 e150 with the same motor (5.0) you should check this.
Following Hanky suggestion I checked the van for trouble codes and it gave me back three codes but in my case this is the important one;

This code has something to do with;

1.-Crankshaft sensor
2.-Camshaft sensor
3.-Electric Ignition Module

Since I noticed there was no spark after van stalls I decided to check this since this sensors and the Ignition Module have something to do with the spark
Since the ignition module was brand new (6 or 7 days old) I decided to give all my attention to the sensors
After looking around (Google, Auto Zone, Pep Boys) for info this particular motor apparently has no Crankshaft sensor. I looked everyone around the block, Google it, asked about it in Auto Part Stores, etc and no info about it.
And about the Camshaft sensor looking for info I found out it is inside the distributor (as far as I can say only on this particular motor 5.0 V8, and only 92 to 96 I think) and it is part of the distributor (not a sensor but instead various small parts make the function as a sensor) you can't buy just the sensor and replace it you actually have to buy the whole distributor (again only on this motor and 92 to 96) so I bought the distributor ($100) replaced it and problem has been solved not more stall when driving on freeway or streets.
I drove close to 200 miles already and not a problem at all. Code gone.

So if you happen to have this motor (5.0 V8) in your Ford truck or van (92 to 96) and it stalls without any previous signal of trouble (loss of power, etc) check this out and if your Electric Ignition Module is ok check your distributor.

Thanks to Hanky for your answer

Last edited by hbvtux; 10-03-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:21 PM

Dear hbvtux, you did all the work ! Nice job. Thank you.