Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1993 E4OD repair Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 04:06 PM
Exclamation 1993 E4OD repair Q's

1993 E4OD repair Q's

My E4OD in a 5.8L gas 1993 e350 17" boxtruck Grumman conversion
was purchased
not going into reverse.
AAA couldn't reach it, from the mile of washed out dirt roads, with the extreme hills & curves the owner had it on,
so I drove it to the AAA wrecker.
It was towed 25 miles, to a parking pad, next to an apt.
Didn't see any leaks under the chassis while I was
getting rid of the roof leaks & mold,
then retrofitting the box insides into a workshop.
Started to drive it out of the pad,
got past the fire hydrant,
tuned 90 degrees & into the street
so AAA could move to next spot.
(still hadn't tagged & titled)
That's when the gas pedal decided to latch down,
& I got some smoke into the cab
& I feathered the gas to unstick it
(farmers learn to NOT panic).
Then would not drive forward any more.

Towed it to a church I do volunteer car repair with
& noticed leaks at the transmission cooler, upon the radiator.
Replaced those hoses,
Put in some Lucas products,
but no joy.

So, anyone have good experiences at this point
replacing the solenoid pack,
or any simple band work,
or a junkyard E4OD of compatible years?

Notes:
e4od shift solenoid pack
https://www.google.com/search?q=e4od...+solenoid+pack

Replacing Solenoid Pack In E4OD Transmission

https://repairpal.com/shift-control-solenoid

Thanks kindly!

P.S.
Am I missing any years/models?
I'm seeing compatibility of:
https://upullandpay.com/cincinnati/f...rd&Model=E-350
All Interchangeable Vehicles.
Make Model Year
FORD E-150 1990 - 1996
FORD E-250 1990 - 1996
FORD E-350 1990 - 1996
Ford E-350 Wagon 1990 - 1996
Ford E350 Wagon 1990 - 1996
Ford Econoline 1990 - 1996
Ford F-150 1990 - 1994
Ford F-150 Heritage 1990 - 1994
Ford F-250 1990 - 1996
Ford F-350 1992 - 1996

Last edited by OldFarmer_OH; 06-17-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:54 PM

If you are going to use this truck as a workshop, you want something that will be dependable and provide many years of good service.
I would suggest that you have a remanufactured trans installed. With a reman the trans cooler must be either flushed or replaced as part of the instllation. Warranty is very good and trans will provide good service. Expect it to cost a little bit more, but you get what you pay for here.

Have seen where trans rebuilds were done every 2 years plowing mountain rds with F550. The just did not hold up.
Reman was installed and trans lasted over 9 years used every day and plowing mountain roads in the winter. Worth every penny !
A lot will depend on what $$$ you want to spend and how long you want it to last. It could be the last trans problem you have with the vehicle depending on how long you keep it and service it.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

You didn’t mention how many miles are on the rig?, or if the trans is original or not (if known). Many that vintage would have had replacements by now. If reman, some will be completely painted or have the builders ID on the unit.
You also state it was difficult to get at by the tow company because of road/access conditions. Does that mean it was towed by the head with the front end lifted ? or standard by the rear ?
Trans fluid color is? Dark, burnt smell?
If it’s a high mileage unit, and has now failed, one of the things you can do to get a general idea of internal health is drop the pan for inspection. If the fluid is polluted with suspended metal, and/or the magnet or filter contains excessive amounts of metallic debris, it wouldnt be a case of Solenoid issues etc. and more of internals. Could possibly be a pressure issue, but I’d do a pan inspection straight off to try and rule out hard part failure/s. When Rev failed, we’re all forward gears normal?

If the fluid wasn’t burnt, no metals in pan it may be worth having it checked, but if it proves out to have gone south, I’m with hanky on the replacement.
If a salvage yard unit was being sourced, I’d look for a clean rig that was in a collision/drivable, or in a rig before dismantling meaning ops can be verified, and better if it had evidence of it been reman prior with a hope of some service life remaining. Even with a used offered warranty, if the unit has issues, or soon after, any savings is quickly used up swapping more than once..