Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1997 Ford E350 Cutaway 7.3L diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Default 1997 Ford E350 Cutaway 7.3L diesel

New to the forum and owning a van, really hoping some people can help me out with some info on my vehicle.

I recently purchased a 1997 Ford E350 cutaway shuttle van. The van has 7.3L non-turbo diesel engine, however the only info on this year/model I can find say that they put the 7.3L turbo engine in this model. Can someone help me out and let me know what engine I have? is it the International 7.3L?

I'm trying to mod the engine, with budget in mind, to get a little more pull out of the rig. I plan to drive from Georgia to Vancouver B.C. in june/july of 2017. right now the rig runs excellent other than approaching steep hills, then she struggles and ends up pulling up the hills around 30-45MPH.

ANY INFO regarding this rig would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site it's..

Have an image available of the engine decal on the valve cover? Image of the white VC label in the drivers door jamb?

Last edited by Hayapower; 12-10-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site it's..

Have an image available of the engine decal on the valve cover? Image of the white VC label in the drivers door jamb?
I actually figured it out. The previous owner told me it was a non turbo but I needed up finding out it is in fact turbo charged and is exactly what I've found info on. Thanks for the reply

Old 12-11-2016, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update...

On the original question, a '6 position' switched power chip like TS Performance offers will wake up the 7.3! Reasonable cost, and switchable 'power on the fly'.
For example, Stock tune, fast idle 1100-1200RPM (handy for warm up) a few towing and performance tunes available for the remaining switchable positions, (and programmed in or selected in the order you desire. Any six, any order. As well as a 'Drive up window' mode that quiets the diesel rather than shut it down so you can hear. Not all vendors offer the same exact tunes and options. There's a lot of pre programmed units on the net for sale, but if you want a more 'customized' set of tunes, maybe some omitted if not needed or desired, or in a specific order for the switch function, there's vendors on the net that will program one taylored to your needs. And, if at a later date,, the chip can be re burned for a different arrangement of tunes, or ones added/removed..

That said, the earlier 7.3,was more or less limited by turbo and injector capability, so anything over 80hp increase isn't really a gain.
There's always some risk when adding/ building power, and my opinion is probably nothing over 65h-70ish gains. Anything above, you may 'feel' somewhat of a gain, but you'll certainly see additional black smoke and a fuel mileage drop. +65-75, no real increase in emmisions, but a good gain in HP/torque. Which is very noticeable!

Last edited by Hayapower; 12-11-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the update...

On the original question, a '6 position' switched power chip like TS Performance offers will wake up the 7.3! Reasonable cost, and switchable 'power on the fly'.
For example, Stock tune, fast idle 1100-1200RPM (handy for warm up) a few towing and performance tunes available for the remaining switchable positions, (and programmed in or selected in the order you desire. Any six, any order. As well as a 'Drive up window' mode that quiets the diesel rather than shut it down so you can hear. Not all vendors offer the same exact tunes and options. There's a lot of pre programmed units on the net for sale, but if you want a more 'customized' set of tunes, maybe some omitted if not needed or desired, or in a specific order for the switch function, there's vendors on the net that will program one taylored to your needs. And, if at a later date,, the chip can be re burned for a different arrangement of tunes, or ones added/removed..

That said, the earlier 7.3,was more or less limited by turbo and injector capability, so anything over 80hp increase isn't really a gain.
There's always some risk when adding/ building power, and my opinion is probably nothing over 65h-70ish gains. Anything above, you may 'feel' somewhat of a gain, but you'll certainly see additional black smoke and a fuel mileage drop. +65-75, no real increase in emmisions, but a good gain in HP/torque. Which is very noticeable!
Right on, that's something along the lines of what I'm looking to do. I've only had the van a couple weeks, I've driven it around 200 miles so far and it seems like when I'm coming up on a hill, if I I don't really mash on the gas hard, it doesn't seem to want to downshift. It will downshift if you put it to the floor but it seems like the shifting points could be changed or something? Not sure if you're familiar with the e350 passenger vans, but could the van be set up in a really mild manner to try not to jolt around passengers? I know the vehicle is heavy but it seems like it has more potential that the power it's displacing.

I wouldn't mind putting exhaust, intake, and something like the TS performance programming system on the van. But I've just heard that the tranny's are the weakest link when you start throwing more power to the ground....what's your opinion?

I'm planning to build out a small RV on the inside to travel out west this coming summer. I'm looking to get good gas mileage but also have decent power readily available for some steep hills out west. Really appreciate any opinions!

Old 12-11-2016, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

You never mentioned the miles on the clock?
Is the trans still the original, or a replacement?. Any service or repair info available for the van?
The E4OD/4R100 transmissions aren't known for real firm shifts. Generally a firmer shift is better for clutch longevity. As long as it's not over firm- neck jarring etc. A soft shift tends to generate slip and heat, heat is the enemy and can shortening clutch life.

When adding a tuner or power chip, most programs will boost the transmissions line pressure, and depending on towing or performance tune, shift points/timing will be enhanced to help the trans with the power increase. What gets overlooked a lot and sometimes caused premature failures is the service intervals, 15k severe duty/heavy tow, 30k standard operations, light towing/hauling. Another aid, when rolling up a stepper grade, cancel out the overdrive if the trans is 'range hunting' meaning going in/out of overdrive.
Additional cooler depending on OE, or future load/carry requirements.

A more free flowing exhaust as well as an intake may help, but your still bound to the turbo and injector capabilities. If it were a later SD, their better equiped for the higher end power increases. Emissions may come into play as well, Cat delete/removal, larger pipe may help with a more unrestricted exhaust, but can cause testing and noise concerns if that's a problem. Cat back, may be an alternative, still restrictive, but may help where cabin noise is part of the equation.

E4's 4R's can be built to be pretty bullet proof. If yours is a high mileage original, more risk, then if it were a updated reman. That's said, a lot depends on how the van and it's available power is used..
A sample vendor of the TS chip/program availabilities and arrangement order, http://ktperformance.net/i-6683146-6...nce-tunes.html

Last edited by Hayapower; 12-11-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:55 AM

You never mentioned the miles on the clock?
Is the trans still the original, or a replacement?. Any service or repair info available for the van?
The E4OD/4R100 transmissions aren't known for real firm shifts. Generally a firmer shift is better for clutch longevity. As long as it's not over firm- neck jarring etc. A soft shift tends to generate slip and heat, heat is the enemy and can shortening clutch life.

When adding a tuner or power chip, most programs will boost the transmissions line pressure, and depending on towing or performance tune, shift points/timing will be enhanced to help the trans with the power increase. What gets overlooked a lot and sometimes caused premature failures is the service intervals, 15k severe duty/heavy tow, 30k standard operations, light towing/hauling. Another aid, when rolling up a stepper grade, cancel out the overdrive if the trans is 'range hunting' meaning going in/out of overdrive.
Additional cooler depending on OE, or future load/carry requirements.

A more free flowing exhaust as well as an intake may help, but your still bound to the turbo and injector capabilities. If it were a later SD, their better equiped for the higher end power increases. Emissions may come into play as well, Cat delete/removal, larger pipe may help with a more unrestricted exhaust, but can cause testing and noise concerns if that's a problem. Cat back, may be an alternative, still restrictive, but may help where cabin noise is part of the equation.

E4's 4R's can be built to be pretty bullet proof. If yours is a high mileage original, more risk, then if it were a updated reman. That's said, a lot depends on how the van and it's available power is used..
A sample vendor of the TS chip/program availabilities and arrangement order, 6 Position Customized Switchable Chip, Ford (1994-97) 7.3L Power Stroke, Power Hungry Performance Tunes
Van has 149,000k. Motor and tranny are original. Fuel lines, vacuum pump, and vacuum lines replaced recently. Everything else seems stock.
Tranny shifts good and firm, but not head jolting, it just seems like the shifting points could be changed a bit but I just don't know **** about it.