Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

'89 4.9l ignition(?) problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Default '89 4.9l ignition(?) problem

I have a 1989 Ford Econoline 4.9l custom van which has been sitting in the driveway for a few years. It has been started every so often. Just recently it has refused to start. It is cranking just fine and I can smell gasoline in the exhaust so I'm guessing its an ignition problem. Seeing as how its been sitting a while I'm hoping its just some corrosion on a connector or such. I don't have a service manual or wiring diagram for this vehicle. I haven't been able to check for a spark because I have no one to turn on the ignition switch while I am looking under the hood and I don't know where to jumper it for a remote start. Any help?

Old 05-06-2011, 07:14 PM

There is another way !
If you remove the doghouse cover you will be able to get to the #6 (last plug wire to the rear) spark plug wire and remove it. You could place a screwdriver in the plugwire boot and place the screwdriver about 1/8 of an inch away from a ground point and crank the engine. If you have spark you will be able to see it . It's not as rapid as if you used the coil wire , but it will still tell you if you have spark or not. Doghouse removal only requires that you remove the two bolts at the bottom of the doghouse and release the holdowns on each side of the doghouse. It can be a pain if they haven't been removed in a while, but unless you can get someone to assist you That is the other way.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Default getting spark

I didn't even know about the removable doghouse cover. The fasteners are upholstered over in this custom van. I am getting a spark. I removed a sparkplug and cranked the engine and couldn't smell much fuel in the cylinder so I guess its not getting fuel. Now that I have the cover removed I can see two lines marked "fuel". I'm guessing the one with the Schraeder valve is the supply line and the fitting is for a pressure gauge. Right? Where is the fuel filter on this vehicle? Thanks.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:12 PM

Your observation is correct. I'm a little puzzled. First you stated you could smell gasoline in the exhaust now you don't have any gas going to the cylinders.
The fuel filter is usually located under the driver's seat area inside the driver's side frame rail. Have you tried to put in some fresh gasoline?