Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

90 Ford E150 5.0 dual tank club wagon fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:14 PM

This is what I would do. If you have a test lite, at the diagnostic plug get the fuel pump to run all the time, start at the switch in the van for switching tanks . Get the color of the wire that is hot when you switch to the front tank. One of them will give you a bright light on the test lite and that should be the one to supply the front tank fuel pump. When you check one of the other wires with the test lite you should see a reading on the fuel gauge , no particular amount just a reading, and that is the wire that connects to the front tank gauge wire.
Ground wires should connect to any good ground.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:10 PM

thanks for that info.....ill give it a shot either tomorrow or saturday...been working on a s10 (crank no start) and its raining. I have both a test light and a multimeter and a led light somewhere. so according to what you posted I'm going to assume the wire with the strip running to my front tank will be the fuel gauge wire, two ground wires and a colored wire for power....just have to locate them off the switch connector. I'll give it a shot and leave you alone until saturday, at least thanks man.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:44 AM

I feel like I have been working on this van too ! It's been a pleasure to work with you and I enjoyed every minute of it. I must admit your pictures are a heck of a lot better than what I have posted. When you get this thing straightened out , you'll find these vans were pretty good and were quite reliable . At one time many moons ago I maintained a fleet of E 150 s and E350s more than 60 of them they were one tough truck! Thexton made a quick check tool that you could get the codes and run the KOEO and KOER tests very easily. I think it cost under $5.00 at that time. It was faster than plugging in a scan tool. Will check back later.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:44 PM

good afternoon. hey hanky, thannks a ton for all the help and advise....really really appreciate it a lot. well, after removing the mechanical selector valve and deleting the rear tank out and running the front tank directly to the external pump and the return line, it still wouldn't start. I koeo to listen to the intank pump and it's working. gas gauge reads E so I thought what the hell, got some gas and bam, started right up. all I need is a speaker attached to the outside playing 'everybody dance now' because I am elated. I looked up some TSB and found that the selector valve caused a lot of problems...such as gas from front tank being syphoned into rear tank...all types of ill stuff. But it's running and I am very happy. I know it's a strong engine and it will last awhile. Thanks again Hanky

Old 05-09-2011, 12:47 PM

btw...not having gas wasn't the problem...it became the problem after spending a month of idling the vehicle to diagnose it and after removing this and that I eventually ran it out of gas after I had already did the necessary repairs. so it runs now without the selector valve and the rear tank disconnected. Will more than likely save up my money to purchase a new selector valve right from ford and make sure in the future I switch tanks often so this type of failure doesn't happen again. gotta run....got a club wagon to ride around in again!

Old 05-09-2011, 03:11 PM

If anybody deserves to enjoy driving that club wagon it's you. I admire your perseverance and determination. It was a pleasure to learn with you and thank you for the pix(s) you posted , they helped me a lot too !

Old 05-27-2011, 05:49 AM

Good Morning. Well, I removed the rear tank from the van yesterday and dumped out the 17 gallons of red-colored gas from the tank. Removed the fuel pump from the tank and it's orange in color. I am getting pictures today to show this pump and what happened to it which caused the selector valve to fail and ultimately result in my van not running. I'll get the pictures up as soon as I buy a usb cord for my phone. The mechanical selector valve wasn't the problem....it was a combination of using fuel treatment crap all the time along with poor maintenance of the vehicle resulting in the rear tank going out or at least going bad causing the selector valve to go bad. But I'll get the pics up and explain fully later.