Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Alternator

Old 11-18-2017, 08:13 PM
Default Alternator

New to site,

Hello, I have an 1989 e 150 with 6 cyl in it and replacing alternator. Anyone have any tricks or idea how to get out? Battery box is in the way and wondering if anyone has a method or routing? is unbolted but trying to remove. Thanks, Any hejp greatly appreciated

Old 11-19-2017, 05:20 AM

This goes back a bit, but if you can't wiggle it out you might find it just as quick to remove the battery and shelf to get the job done. Plus it gives you a chance to clean and inspect the cables and terminals.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:25 AM

Looking at the battery shelf and looks like its welded not bolted on. If I could remove it would be easier jpb. Looks like I have to drop radiator and maybe pull grill since I also need to replace smog pump

Old 11-19-2017, 11:37 AM

I wish I could be more helpful with this without having to remove the radiator etc. Can you work the alt back toward the inside of the vehicle to remove it? Also , would you have enough room to get the alt out once the AIR pump is loosened/removed? This opens a whole new picture which is if you are going to remove the radiator , that might be a good time to replace the water pump since everything is open.
I have found that the pumps became damaged when the check valve(s) in the exhaust piping to the head were faulty and allowed exhaust heat to get back to the smog pump and melt the stuff inside. Might be a good idea to check them too!

Old 11-19-2017, 12:52 PM

Thanks for getting back,Cant get through inside pretty tight. not enough room through smog pump either. I might re[lace water pump as well. I know the bearings on Alt, and smog pump is a bit noisy. Reason Im replacing is it developed a nasty belt noise even after few miles with new belt. I did the water test on belt and quiet it down but comes rite back. I noticed the alternator looks like hanging up and possible cause of belt slip.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:13 PM

I realize the vehicle is an 89, but those engines ran forever when maintained. The exhaust systems were expensive to replace and many times I found an outside shop that was willing to weld the pipes from the head on down when the pipes before the converter needed to be replaced. If you have any problems getting parts for the vehicle due to it's age there is a place in Beaver Dam , Wisc that was able to come up with a lot of parts. The name was "Vintage Parts Inc". If they won't sell to you , your dealer can usually get them from there.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:34 PM

Thanks, That's good information. I was researching Gator Back serpentine belts but no one in the Northwest carries them. They say is will clean up belts squeel

Old 11-21-2017, 08:30 PM

Make sure the pulleys are all in proper alignment because that can also be a cause for belt squeal.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:40 PM

Im back same issue, I noticed when I put new belt on and started it up the belt on the PS pump moves almost half a groove towards the front of the pulley, I looked at alignment of all the pulleys and the all line up pretty good. Is there such thing as a worn out pulley that would cause that?. Previous owner mentioned that they have replaced the belt and after few miles it would eat up front side of belt then starts to squeak. He bought the van with a rebuilt motor and never had problem till recent. Any ideas greatly appreciated

Old 11-25-2017, 05:36 PM

The best way to check pulley alignment is with a straight edge.
Is it possible when the people who did the engine install used the incorrect power steering pump mounting bracket? That could place the pulley too far back and cause the belt to try to align itself and climb toward the front of the pulley. If the pump was replaced and the person installing the pulley on the replacement power steering pump shaft pushed it on too far , that could also be the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator