Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Bad Transmission?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:13 AM
Default Bad Transmission?????

Hello All,

I have a 1996 E-250, Straight 6(300) with AT/with overdrive. the problem is that when going down the road especially on the highway the transmission acts like it "forgets" what gear its in and loses drive power. It would be like I manually put it in neutral, then it will slam down into its gear and drive fine. Very sparatic problem. Around town I can put it in second and no problems at all. Only in drive and overdrive does it have this problem. When going uphill, fighting wind, or a constant speed (throttle position) is when it acts up most. Fluid in trans is a like new color andat its proper level.Its driving me crazy because this is my "spare" service vehicle as my main service vehicle is in another post on the forum!!! (see: 6.8 V-10 Idle issue...PLEASE HELP A NEW MEMBER/POSTER!!!!! ) Any advice would be a great help. Thanks!!!

SewerRatt

Old 06-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Bad Transmission?????

Sounds like a problem with the solenoid pack in the trans, or a connection/connector circuit issue.. How many miles are on the unit? Any OD light flash?

Old 06-25-2007, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the reply Hayapower, the unit has little over 160,000 on it. This trans has the option of turning off the overdrive (push buton), this light dosent flash if that is what you are asking. Although my airbag light is flashing and the cruise control no longer works. I was told that the computer that controls the trans/airbag/CC were all on the same circut but I cant be sure of this because it was an unreliable source. If this is true what does this cost to replace?? If it is the solenoid pack, how do I remedy this? Or connection/circut issue? The "check engine" light isnt flashing ither. I hope this added info helps. Thanks All!

Old 06-25-2007, 06:49 PM

Inoticed today that the airbag light is flashing a 32 code..(?) 3 flashes..pause...2 flashes..long pause...then repeats. I dont know if this is related but I thought I would throw it out there to ponder on...

Old 06-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

160K+ is a good[/i] service life for a E40D..

160K on the unit is a little alarming, many never made it that far.. But generally when the unit neutrals and then slams it’s electrical/hydraulic related to pressure control.. More so if it’s an intermittent and the problem started abruptly with no prior slipping, shift concerns, shuddering, noises, polluted and/or burnt fluid.. Two of the components that help control unit pressure are the TPS (Trans Range Sensor) the Solenoid Pack, and of course the PCM in control.. The PCM ’needs’ to see the gear/s selected for pressure control/application.. The TRS and/or it’s connector can fail from water intrusion or age, and would certainly be suspect if it’s the original sensor.. Prior to replacement/removal of the TRS check the TRS/connector for corroded/green pins.. The TRS is bolted (2) to the left/drivers side of the trans case behind the shift lever.. Simple job, and a starting point with no prior diagnostic.. Also, the Solenoid Pack as well at it’s connector is a possibility but is a lower failure rate, but 160K.. It’s inside the trans/pan and is part of the valve body/bolted to the case with the nose of the connector facing up/outwards for harness connection.. Not a complicated job, and I can post some info. and pics for either job.. Or have a trans shop run the diagnostic to be more certain..

Air bag LFC 32 (light flash code) is for the Drivers Side Air Bag module circuit Open or High Resistance.. Most causes are a ‘break’ in the Clock Spring ribbon tape circuit from steering wheel rotation/wear over time… Not related to the trans issues…..

Old 02-18-2011, 08:57 PM

I am new to this club, and I would be greatly appreciated to some one who can help me with a problem I'm having with my 1998 ford contour se v6. I have a code 1744 and I am in the middle of replacing the solenoid pack pack in the trans due to no overdrive. . How do you get the pack out without removing the valve body?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:50 PM

Did u get a response on this blog? I have the exact question