Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

E150 Shifting trouble, wont go into park

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 10:11 PM
Default E150 Shifting trouble, wont go into park

Hey Fordies... I have a baffling question about my E-150 Van 1997. So, the shifter has become, for the lack of a better term, soft. I cannot get it into Park, and so I start it in neutral and use the e-brake often. There is no definate "shift" either with the positive click of the shifter.
I have done the following...
Checked all the physical linkage... nuts, bolts, etc. Nothing is loose.
I have inspected and tested the "cable" It is running smooth.
Near as I can tell, it is one of three things,
1. the shifter tube (I have looked at it, and it looks fine)
2. the cable
3. the switch that the cable attaches to under the car
4? maybe the shifter handle???
Any other suggestions?

Old 10-02-2017, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site

Have you checked the 2 torx screws that attach the lower shift arm to the shift tube? They like to come loose and cause a sloppy shifter, shift hunt condition..

Old 10-02-2017, 11:54 AM

Everything is tight.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

The shift column/tube doesn't control the positive or click feel for the independent ranges, the trans internal spring and detent make for the positions. If you remove the cable from the trans lever, does the trans pattern make for a full range of positions or full sweep of the indicator?

Most times when the shifter is sloppy, and Park is hard to obtain, or you have a 'shift/range hunt' condition,,, it's either the lower 2 torx screws, the shift tube nylon bushings are shot (sometimes the hold down clamps torx come loose) , or a tube issue itself. Torx screens were very common to come loose down low. If bushings,, pretty easy to see the tube 'walk' in the half clamps. There should be very little to no lag in the shifter pointer and cable movement..

Old 10-03-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
The shift column/tube doesn't control the positive or click feel for the independent ranges, the trans internal spring and detent make for the positions. If you remove the cable from the trans lever, does the trans pattern make for a full range of positions or full sweep of the indicator?

Most times when the shifter is sloppy, and Park is hard to obtain, or you have a 'shift/range hunt' condition,,, it's either the lower 2 torx screws, the shift tube nylon bushings are shot (sometimes the hold down clamps torx come loose) , or a tube issue itself. Torx screens were very common to come loose down low. If bushings,, pretty easy to see the tube 'walk' in the half clamps. There should be very little to no lag in the shifter pointer and cable movement..
I have been in there (although I BARELY fit) and the Torx screws are TIGHT. The bushings are OK. I get positive click under the car with the cable detached. (a the switch that the cable connects)... also the shift lever will make a complete sweep, with very little clickage. (when dettached) with everything hooked up and tight, I get a DEFINATE shift hunt condition! I just dont want to do the "replace everything" approach.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

So,, looking from the foot well area on up,, if you move the shifter does the shift tube walk around?

Old 10-04-2017, 09:58 PM

what exactly do you mean "walk around"?

Old 10-05-2017, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

If there's any extra clearance be it tube bushings, the 2 half clamps on the tube/column hold downs are worn excessive (even with new bushings) cracked clamps, loose screws on the clamps, or a tube fail issue, usually when you visibly and manually check for rotation adding in the movement tension from the trans manual lever/detent, the tube will walk or wobble off center as the the trans lever push/pull is against the tube and all the hardware..

Old 01-09-2022, 04:11 PM

I have this exact problem on my 97 E350. Checked the cable, screws on the lever and the nylon connector at the trans. All are tight. Trans shifts into all positions positively when the cable is disconnected. Selector has full range when cable disconnected. Cable is fine. Haven't checked the tube yet. But it did not appear to be wobbling. Wondering what you found as the ultimate reason yours was hunting and not going into park.

Mine got tot the point that it wouldn't go into reverse. I changed the position of the nylon connector at the trans (further back) and I got reverse back. But it's still really mushy and range hunting.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:38 PM

This is what I would try.
Disconnect the cable from the trans.
Now move the shift lever on the trans thru the positions of park, reverse, neutral, drive and low.
Once you are sure all is OK there, place the lever in the park position with the cable still disconnected.
Next go up in the cab and place the shift lever in the park position as shown on the indicator.
Now with the shift lever inside the vehicle locked in the park position and the trans in the park position, the shift cable should slide right into the lever on the trans . If not, find out why.