Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

e350 van wont start ! help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Default e350 van wont start ! help

ok yesterday the van ran good ! today it dont have no spark or fuel ! i had the controle modeul check and it was good ! i am lost and not sure where to go next it is a 15 passanger van with a 5.8 motor and 4 speed auto tranny with 4 10 rear end not sure what elese you need to know to help me

Old 03-18-2012, 12:54 PM

would a PCM power relay have anything to do with this not starting? if so would that make me loose spark and fuel?

Old 03-18-2012, 02:32 PM

Yes , in answer to your question.
Might I suggest that you first do something simple , but very basic and very important.
Check all the fuses. I can't tell you which specific ones since I don't what year the vehicle is . If the fuses all check good then the next thing to check is all the ground connections. These are basic checks and don't cost anything except your time. But throwing parts at at a problem only works when you take the shotgun approach and that is replacing everything and even then there are no guarantees especially if it was one of the simple check items.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:00 PM

ok i checked the fuses and all the ground connections . still the same thing sorry it is a 1992 e350 clubwagon van with a 5.8 351 motor i am still lost on this the ford shop told me today when i called them it is the ecm/bcm witch is 350 dollars ( i have a family of 7 kids and me an my wife i cant pay that )

Old 03-20-2012, 03:31 AM

Under the hood on the passenger side, just over the battery, usually are two relays.
One is for providing power to the ECA and the one next to it is the fuel pump relay. They are both the same part no. and are interchangable. When you turn the key on the ECA relay should click and stay on. The other relay , for the fuel pump, should click and go off after 2 seconds. The ECA relay would be considered the power relay. Just check if they function as described. You can switch them and see if you get any different results. If the one that controls the power to everything is defective you will get no spark or fuel.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 AM

i found 3 little square boxs have to take battery out to get to them . but they are not clicking or doing nothing i have replaced the destorabor and the ingation modugle did nothing still the same

Old 05-09-2012, 02:25 PM

ok here is a update been really busy but i got back to this van it is a 1992 ford e350 with a 5.8 it wont start all it does is turn over all fues are good and i ahve replace the main computer in it the ingation control modgule and the distor and the coil and it has not changed nothing yet i am lost some one please help what to do next !

Old 05-09-2012, 05:11 PM

What we try to do is determine if the engine is getting fuel and spark.
If you remove the wire from the coil that goes to the distributor and place it approx 1/4 inch from a good ground like part of the engine. Then turn the key to the start position and crank the engine and see if you see, or hear any spark jump from the coil wire to the engine metal. let us know what result you get.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:02 PM

i did that and it dont do nothing i can hold on to the end of the wire and it dont do anything when i crank it over. i tested the little wires that are on the bottom of the coil and they have power to one side and the othe side has power when cranking it over i can not hear the fuel pump comming on when i have a friend turn it over and i listen ubder it or in the filler tube

Last edited by briane350; 05-09-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:37 AM

If you are getting no spark from the coil wire when cranking, there could be two possible explanations. Either the coil is defective or the signal from the dist is not coming to it.
If you have a test lit or voltmeter available, check the other side of the coil primary wire connection and crank the engine. The wire from the ign should stay bright all the time while the other wire should flicker when the engine is cranked. That is the pip signal from the dist. pick-up coil. If all that is ok then you could get some carb and choke cleaner and spray some in the air cleaner and see if the engine makes any attempt to start. If so , then we go to the fuel system.
You should hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on .It should run for 1-2 seconds, if not the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump wiring or the pump itself is suspect.

Quick Reply: e350 van wont start ! help