Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

E350 won't start

Old 01-26-2017, 09:56 AM
Default E350 won't start

Hi, just joined
My '07 E350 gaser will not start

My knowledge - fairly basic..

Appreciate any help indeed

Bought used 1.5 years ago

Did have issues with turn signals not working at times (usually cold weather) - So turn off ignition - restart and OK
(I mention this because could this electrical issue be the root?)

Swapped out battery a year ago from old dodge . I think the terminals are a few thou smaller, because when nuts are tightened the terminal clamp still moves a bit, but snug

Problem:
Will not start
Auxiliary lights on ok
battery reading (doesn't show "V") but is about 1/2 way
No click at all on turnover - nothing
I tried 1-2 below, as well as clamping terminal clamp with vise grip to make a tight connection - nothing.

Sound like the starter? Where is it located? I would like to give it a tap, then replace it (if it starts after tap of course)

I did have this same issue in the past a couple of times
1) Boost was ok
2) Boost nothing - fiddled with terminal, then boost ok

Thanks for taking the time...

Old 01-26-2017, 01:24 PM

Hi User,
What you might try is to put the headlights on and try to start the vehicle.
One of two things should happen. One is the lights will go dim which would tell you there is a poor connection where the cables connect to the battery. The other is , nothing happens because the start circuit is not doing anything because the ign switch or connection is not energizing the starter solenoid or the starter circuit has an open circuit. Which one of these is the result you are receiving? We can go from there.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Hi User,
What you might try is to put the headlights on and try to start the vehicle.
One of two things should happen. One is the lights will go dim which would tell you there is a poor connection where the cables connect to the battery. The other is , nothing happens because the start circuit is not doing anything because the ign switch or connection is not energizing the starter solenoid or the starter circuit has an open circuit. Which one of these is the result you are receiving? We can go from there.
Thanks Hanky,
Not that it took too long for a reply, But I just didn't have the time to wait. I had it towed to the shop. I just need the van ASAP. even if it costs me $

Old 03-16-2017, 09:55 PM

Sorry for not replying
To be honest. i just didn't have time to diagnose. Not to mention, I may have diagnosed incorrectly anyhow.
It was the connection. But on a cold day it still whines a bit before turn over. So I think a new battery is probably warranted.
Thanks for the replies