Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Falcon Won't Fly!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 01:16 PM
Unhappy Falcon Won't Fly!

I recently purchased a 1989 Ford Falcon Camper Van which had been stored in a warehouse for the past 10 years. The Falcon is a "cool" conversion van built by InterVec based on an extended E250/350 chassis. My vehicle has a fuel injected 351W, c6 transmission with 70K miles. To this point I have replaced the entire distributor (including a new TPI). MAPP sensor, coil, plugs, plug wires, 195 thermostat, fuel filter, and high pressure fuel pump. The van starts right up, purrs like a kitten, and runs fine for about 3-5 miles. Then it starts to sputter, back fires repeatedly, and dies (or tries to die). I tried switching between fuel tanks which seems to make no difference. After dying, recranking the engine may or may not restart the motor immediately. When it finally restarts, it may drive 200 feet or another 2 miles. Then the backfiring, power loss and motor shutoff repeats itself. Yesterday it took me 2 hours and 8 starts/restarts to get the 3 miles back to my garage. The only reading I noticed, which possibly could be connected to the problem, is that when the engine heats up, it runs "warm". Not "hot", but the temp gauge needle settles at the top of the "NORMAL" range. (Possibly a clogged radiator, which I plan to replace if, and when, I ever get the running issue solved.)
I live out in the country some 15 miles to the nearest mechanic and I don't think that I could drive the van into town to get repair help. Frankly I am getting very tired of throwing money at the problem. Initially I was sure it was a failing ignition control module (distributor-mounted TFI) as the symptoms seem to mirror this condition. (I am aware of Ford's class action lawsuit loss regarding the TFI). However two new TFIs did not improve the problem. Unless, the problem continues because of one or more BAD NEW PARTS, which at this point I don;t really believe, I simply do not know what to do next. If any of you have suggestions of what I should test, replace, or look at to solve my problem, it would be really, really, appreciated. THIS IS BECOMING REALLY FRUSTRATING. PLEASE HELP.

Old 08-25-2021, 01:53 PM

Have not seen one do it in years, but could it be vapor lock?