Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Ford 1999 Econoline ignition tune up

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 02:30 PM
Default Ford 1999 Econoline ignition tune up

Hi yall
im about to attempt to replace my plugs wires filters etc. looks like I have to take off some components of my dashboard. One never done this on my Econoline. Any tips or advice?
thank you

Old 03-08-2024, 03:50 PM

Yes, you will need to remove the "Doghouse". the two bolts on the floor might give you a problem if they haven't been removed for a long time.

Don't know where you are purchasing the plug wires , but if from dealership will cost more, but will fit like they belong there. Sometimes they are even numbered which can make the job a lot easier. Make sure you replace the plug wires one at a time because they go in a certain order and if changed , the can of worms opens.
Set your wires out according to length and that makes it easier to compare length and find the right one when replacing one at a time.

Depending on which engine is in your vehicle , it has a certain firing order and you don't want to place 2 plug wires parallel to one another that are next to one another in the firing order. Neatly placing the wires close to one another can cause problems, so place them just as they were when you do this one at a time and you should be fine if there were no problems before this.
If you don't have a gauge to set the plug gap get one, because the gaps are not always correct out of the box.
Motorcraft plugs , from my experience will provide better long term service.

When all done , make sure the engine runs well before reinstalling the doghouse. If you put a little grease on the threads of the bolts that hold the back of the doghouse, it will make it much easier if and when you might need to remove them at a later time.

Old 03-12-2024, 05:39 AM

Hanky sumed it up really good for you. Take your time, you should be just fine. Come back and let us know how it went.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the back-up. I also found it easier to remove the battery to have a little more room to see and work.

Because some of the angles you need to gain access can make the job of replacing plugs a real pain, you might want to be careful tightening the plugs so you don't accidentally crack one without being aware it was done.