Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Gas and Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Default Gas and Starting issues

Thanks for your help on the problems I was having with my running lights. I will try to locate and check that ground wire.

I have two more issues on my never ending project van - a 1986 E-350. First, the van will start fine, turn over and fire right up about half the time. The other half, it just doesn't do anything. I turn the key, and nothing happens. Sometimes, if you hold the key forward, it will eventually start to turn over, but kind of fade in and out. That is, if you hold it forward the engine will turn over, stop turning over, and then turn over again. The ignition switch has been replaced and so has the starter - no improvement. I have checked all the grounds to both batteries and they look fine. Any suggestions?

Also, currently the van wont take gas. It is almost empty, but if you try to put fuel in either tank it just runs back out the filler hose. My buddy had a 1988 bronco that had the same problem so I assume its a problem inherit to Fords. Has anyone ever come across this issue/ found a solution? Any help on either issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2006, 01:55 AM
Default RE: Gas and Starting issues

It sounds like your ignition switch needs to be replaced.
The vent tube from the tank may be plugged. or pinched and yes Ford seems to have a problem with burping out gas. I have an old 1980 3/4 ton pickup I use on the farm. I drive the left rear tire up on a block I made for it, to fill it up.