Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

hanging transmission filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Default hanging transmission filter

I was wondering if a transmission filter that hangs down would have the same impact as one that fell off.

I had lost reverse, but regained it, only to lose drive the following week.

I do have a form of drive but I lack any form of power on even the slightest inclines.

I removed my transmission pan and noticed that the filter was hanging down, and was wondering if this was perhaps the cause of losing drive.

Thank you,

econobug

Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 PM

Did you notice if the seal where the filter goes into the trans was in the proper place?

Old 03-02-2012, 12:41 PM

hello hanky;

when I initially put in the new filter it snapped into place. I would assume that the seal was in the proper place. The van ran fine for a few months.

Only after I began having the transmission troubles did I remove the pan to check on things. i noticed the filter hanging. I pushed it up but she would just fall back down into the hanging position. (this is not a Ford produced filter and therefore may have a badly made seal)

I just called a Ford dealership and they have a magnet that goes between the filter and pan, in order to keep the filter in place.

I shall pick up the magnet today and see what effect it has.

thanks,

econobug

Old 03-02-2012, 02:08 PM

While it's all open , suggest installing a new filter and seal.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:01 AM

hanky;

I went to the Ford dealership. The magnet that they had was not for to retain the filter position. In fact, they were not aware of such a magnet.

I bought a filter. The salesman let me have it for $48.00. It was listed at $58.00.

On arriving home, I checked out some more sites, and found out both the old and new part number for the retaining magnet.

I shall return to the dealership tomorrow and inquire some more.

I wish to put in the retaining magnet, see if my transmissions' condition improves, and then install the Ford filter. If the transmission does not improve upon installing the magnet, I will not be putting in such an expensive filter.

I will keep the forum informed.

Thanks,

econobug

Old 03-03-2012, 04:09 PM

The dealership asked for just over $45.00 for the retaining magnet, and it would take between 4-5 days to arrive.

I shall just install the new filter and hope for the best.

econobug

Old 03-03-2012, 05:00 PM

The magnet is about the size of a half dollar and is about 1/8 to 3/16 thick with a hole in the center.. There should be a dimple in the pan where the magnet was usually found.
I would think you could get one from any trans shop or garage that has an old trans out back in the junk pile. Even a salvage yard may have an old trans that was to be scrapped because of a damaged case. Shop around it has to cost less than $45.00. There is something drastically wrong to ask a price like that.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:39 PM

I have about 20 of these magnents on the top of my toolbox at work. They make a great magnetic attachement for paperwork. Too bad they won't do a dammned thing for the trans.
The magnent was there to catch the metal this tranmission (most likely a 4R670W) likes to leave in the pan. I'd bet that at sometime either you or someone before you cleaned it out.
Is the fluid burnt (dark in color)? I'll bet it is.
The filters in these did have a habit of falling off, and leaving the orange seal ring that went around the neck of the filter) up in the valve body. These should be removed before the new filter is installed.
And if the filter did fall off, which was common, it probably decavitated the pump and burned something up.
Not always good news, but I have to be honest.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:38 PM

I do have a magnet in the pan. The magnet in the pan is to do the job of collecting fine particles.

The magnet that is used for retaining the filter is different.

It is different in shape, (rectangular), and different in thickness, (for filling the gap between filter and pan). p/n YS7Z7E290AA

And finally, greasemark, why did you have to be so honest? Just ruined my day. (LOL)

thanks,

econobug

Last edited by econobug; 03-03-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:51 AM

Hey guys,
It seems we have several things going on here. I have to admit I have never seen one of those rectangular magnets econobug is talking about. What is somewhat puzzling is a dealer says they didn't know of any such magnet and yet we have a part # for it and can now get one for a fantastic price. None of the trans ovhl info I have mentions such a magnet. Parts breakdown doesn't show it either. We learn something every day, this looks to be my turn. What can you add to help clarify this? Was this an afterthought on Ford's part?

Quick Reply: hanging transmission filter