Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Hard starting 5.8l '93 e-150

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 07:11 PM
Default Hard starting 5.8l '93 e-150

I am having a bit of trouble with my van starting after it is warmed up. When it starts cold, first thing in the morning or after sitting all day it starts up fine. If shut off warm and restart fairly soon it will stumble and sometimes not start. Giving it some throttle when this happens helps but it still takes longer to start than it should and stumbles a bit before it gets going. My brother had a F-250 similar (or same year)and same motor that did the same thing, never did figure it out. Anyone experience this before? know the cause (possible causes) and cure?
Thanks,
Jared.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:52 PM

You didn't give much maintenance history so we need to ask.
Plugs, filters any other problems that were not taken care of and allowed to progress?
Has fuel mileage gone down a lot? The more info you can provide helps.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:51 AM

Could probably use plugs/wires etc. I have not put those in and mileage wise they're due. I put a fuel filter in it maybe a month ago, fuel pump sounds good when turning the key on. Mileage has not gone down significantly. There are a lot of miles on the engine tho, 230k+.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:02 PM

At this point it could be either fuel or ign related. Best to see what you get after replacing plugs , cap wires etc. If no change might get hold of a fuel pressure gauge and leave it connected after a warm up to see if pressure drops when shut down and by how much.
Have had ign coil produce similar symptoms.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:08 PM

I realize this has been awhile since I posted this. I did replace plugs, wires, cap and rotor. No change in starting, still fires right up when cold and has trouble starting after warming up. I have to put the peddle pretty well to the floor for it to start and still it takes several cranks longer than it ought to. I have not tried a fuel pressure gauge. But being as I recently put in a new fuel pump I guess i am leaning towards it being a coil problem maybe. Any other thoughts? I realize that after market fuel pumps for these vehicles can be problematic (I have been through that several times on other mid nineties fords) but this one is working and so I am inclined to leave it in as I have changed them out before on other vehicles, and had to go thru as many as 4 to get one that carried me more than 20 miles down the road.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:33 PM

Whenever I can I try to stay with OEM fuel pumps.
There are many pumps out there that were replaced when there was nothing wrong with the pump itself, but with power to the pump or the connections or a FPDM, fuel pump driver module. The power and ground connections should always be verified before condemning the pump itself. I also had to learn that the hard way, now I always do those checks before deciding to drop a tank and go through all that trouble and wind up replacing a good pump.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:30 AM
Default 5.8 hard start

Could be ignition module is taking a crap after the motor heats up.If she has good tps signal,good fuel pressure,and power to the coil,that would be the next place id look.Pretty common on high milage 5.0 5.8 efi vehicles.