Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Help solve a hit and run

Old 03-26-2012, 02:36 AM
Default Help solve a hit and run

Hi All,

I am an investigator in southern California working on an unsolved hit and run case from 2007. The police identified the vehicle involved as a 2003-2005 Ford Econoline panel van, but there are no details about how they did that. Since this case has gone unsolved for so long, I am starting from scratch and could use some help from anyone with knowledge of late model E series vehicles to help confirm the details of the vehicle so we know what we are supposed to be looking for.

I have posted pictures of parts left at the scene of the incident and would appreciate any identifying information anyone can give. I will post more photos as I get them. The most significant so far is the "Triton V8" emblem, as this narrows down the vehicles quite a bit. But I have seen this emblem on cargo vans, passenger vans, and cutaway cargo vehicles. Are there any other ways to tell the difference between E-150, E-250, and E-350 vehicles as well as passenger vans, cargo vans, and cutaway vehicles?

Any help, now or ongoing, anyone would like to give would be appreciated!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Without seeing any images hard to tell what they based their vehicle ID on. My guess is that it was a side, or front end crash that left debris behind that pointed to the E Series standard van.

Distinguising between different weight class (150-350) would be difficult, but things like wheel covers, any body side mounlings left behind might help put a 'class' to the van and/or wheel base lenght differences. Any reflectors, or aftermarket side clearance lights might help point to a box van ect.

To make a case for a cutaway, box or conversion, I'd think there would need to be some crash debris that would help in a direction there. Any trim pieces or specific debris that wasn't OEM to a regular Ford van ect. Or specific damage to the vehicle that indicated or put a impact foot print from a conversion/box type body.

Any other info or images?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:57 AM

All photos I currently have are posted. I'm still learning this site so please let me know if they are not showing up for viewing. I will be visiting the PD hopefully next week and plan to have more info and pics, depending on how open and helpful they are.

Point of impact appears to be the right-front (passenger's side) light area, with additional damage down the side of the vehicle, where the Triton V8 emblem was ripped off. I've been researching these vans off and on for almost a year and I just can't tell what they could have used, based on point of impact, to determine "panel" van vs. passenger or cutaway. They also say it is a 2003 to 2005, but again, what are they looking at for this?

The Triton V8 emblem is the biggest thing I see so far and I'm hoping someone can narrow down all years it was used because I find it hard to believe it was just 2003-2005. Thanks for the help!

Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 PM

I believe the E-Series set at different heights. Has anybody tried to line up the points of impact with an E-150, E-250 & E-350 to see which lines up the closest to the impact points to help narrow down which series? Any paint? Different years, different paint.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:25 AM

Am going to spend time with a Ford contact day after tomorrow and at some used van dealerships this weekend to get some measurements and photos. But the impact was off of the roadway (in desert sand) and it is impossible at this point to determine the angle and elevation of the vehicle or the victim.

Will continue to post info as I get it, but if anyone can connect me to someone who can give year/model/body type possibilities for that specific Triton V8 emblem, I would greatly appreciate it.