Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Need advice yesterday on E4OD trasmission for Ford E350 box truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Exclamation Need advice yesterday on E4OD trasmission for Ford E350 box truck

Hello - great forum - I could use your help.

I have a '96 Ford E350 Box truck (351 motor, gas not deisel)- that the transmission (E4OD)automatic 4 speed - went out - doesn't respond in any gear. Never had a problem before - slippage or any indication there was a problem - was driving slow in snow storm and engine revved as the transmission quit and acted as it was in neutral, tried low 2, and 1, - then reverse - nothing. After my highly advanced diagnostic test which consisted of pulling my hair out and cussing it out - I checked the fluid levels - was low 2 quarts - refilled, - nothing. Had a plow truck push me off the road and looked at the linkage underneath - was opperating correctly it seemed. Thought i must be an electriacl issue or line got disconected - everything looked like it was still in place. Any Ideas? I recently had to replace the alternator - don't know if that related or coincidence.

I disconnected the drive shaft and bungeed it up as somone told me that it was necessary to be towed. Had a friend tow me while my truck was running and in park. Friend ran out of gas in his Ford F250. Another friend that I got the towstrap from offered to Pull the truck pulling my truck to the gas station - but I couldn't take a chance that someone with a Chevy and a camera would see A Ford towing another Ford while towing another Ford.

I called tranny shops and got differnt causes from each - 10 ppl - 10 different possibilities. Am broke as a crackhead loking for a used tranny - but also trying to figure out why mine left me stranded. Don't have any diagnostic equpment to hook to anything - but was told that if it electrical I would still have reverse. Is there a step by step trobleshooting guide somewhere online that I can do from most likely cause or better still cheapest to most costly soulution? Diagram with wiring case I missed something and a wire broke somewere?

Was told could be torque converted by one, the pump by anothers, planetary gears by another - and most just say we'll have a look and charge you more than you paid for th entire truck to fix it. What would you check first? and then? If I bought one of those code readers would it be a waste of $$$ since the transmission isn't hooked up and test as truck runs? rehookup drive shaft and test? (No more hair to pull out - and my truck doesn't want to tell me what's wrong reguardless if I sweet talk her - or call her the bi.tch she is for leaving me straded in a snowstorm)Help

Last edited by digitalincome; 02-26-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:45 PM

Related question - found a used E4od for $350 in salvage yard, and another for $450 that trany shop said they rebuilt 3 years ago and got back after a year when they guy totaled the truck - Is it worth $100 more to get one that was rebuilt 3 years ago? Any questions I should ask the shop before buying if I can't figure out what's wrong with mine?

Last edited by digitalincome; 02-26-2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: typo