Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

No power to starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Default No power to starter

Hi Guys,

I have a 2006 motorhome on the Ford E450. When I turn on the ignition switch there is a clicking sound that comes from the battery isolator but nothing from the starter. Just to check if it was a bad starter I ran a cable from the battery + to the starter solenoid and the motor started right up. The battery is brand new. Now I would like to check the starter relay but I don't know where it is located.
There are three wires that are attached to the positive terminal. There is a big red one that seems to go to the starter. Then there is a smaller red one that seems to go to the battery isolator and a yellow one that goes under the battery tray. I removed the battery and tray to follow the yellow wire but it gets sliced into two yellow wires going between the grill and radiator. I'm trying to locate the starter relay but can't find any. Everyone says that it should be located near the battery but there is none. Can someone point me into the right direction on finding the relay (if any).
There is a solenoid mounted on the strater, would that explain why there is no starter relay? Could it be controled within the fuse box?

Thanks,
Pierre

Old 04-02-2010, 09:52 AM

Not an expert here....but my 0.02 worth:

The starter relay sounds like it's on the starter it'self....so, that could be the problem...and "back in the day"...we used to take a rock or hammer or piece of metal and whach on the starter to get the relay to shoot the starter gear out to turn the motor over....and then go buy a new starter. Sticking relay was the problem.

Fuse Panel: Often, the lid to the panel identifies what fuses are what....I would check there, see which ones are in the realm of possibility for not allowing the starter to engage, and check 'em....what the heck!

One of the more simpler fixes I have run into is setting the shifter into Park with a little more agressive action than normal....cause being the safety/lock-out switch worn/out of adjustment. Doesn't sound like this is your problem since you do get a clicking sound (and the key is turning).

I'd try the "whack-it" approach to the starter housing....see what happens...

Waiting to hear about the solution!