Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

No Spark Condition!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Default No Spark Condition!!!

I just found this forum, hopefully someone here can help me! I've got a 1988 Ford Econoline with the fuel injected 351. I was driving it down the road and all of a sudden it died, and would not restart. After i got it pushed over into a parking lot, i started my checks, found it had no spark. I had it towed home, and this is where i began my long list of checks. I found a trouble shooting page for TFI ignitions on the net. I went through and checked the coil (good) coil wire (good) power to the ignition module by various checks at the #3, 4, and 5 terminals. (good) I then tested the ignition module, it was bad, no connection from the base to the D1, 2, and 3 terminals. So i replaced the ignition module, and tried to start it....Still no spark. Just out of curiosity i checked the new ignition module (good). The only other thing was the pickup coil in the distributor. The trouble shooting page did not go into detail on how to check the pickup coil, said it was easier to replace it than to check it, so i bought one and put it in (not as easy as it sounds) I had to pretty much disassemble the whole distributor to get the pickup coil in, you have to drive the gear pins out, pull the gears off, then slide the shaft out, in order to put the pickup coil in. While i was at it, i replaced the cap and rotar button. Anyways, got it all back together, crank, crank, crank, still no spark! I'm lost on this thing now, i don't know what else to check?

Has anyone ran into this problem? Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Default RE: No Spark Condition!!!

I am facing a similar problem only the van didn't die, it just won't start..intermittently? 1995 E-350 5.8 A/T. No spark condition. Replaced Coil, TFI module,new distributor, and ECU, and ignition switch. Still have the original problem. The first thing I did was pull the codes, the only one I had was 212 - Loss of IDM / Spout circuit grounded. The books are great at telling you what the code is, but not how to fix it. I used a DVOM to check the continuity on the IDM wires to the ECU (pin 5 i think) and the coil and all showed no resistance. I haven't checked the spout wire to see if it's grounded, but I assume it is a logical next step. I have to imagine this is a wiring/grounding issue somehow as I think I have replced every possible component!
Have you pulled any error codes from your computer?
Does anyone else have any input? This is one of the most frustrating things I have ever worked on!!!

Old 10-03-2006, 04:51 PM

i am not real familiar with that motor but it sounds like a some what common problem with obdII vehicles. check cam or crank position sensors if that motor has them.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:13 PM

This engine has what is called a PIP in the distributor that sends a signal indicating engine speed and crank position. It got replaced when I replaced the distributor. Ironically enough the van wouldn't start before I replaced the distributor, but fired up first time after I replaced it. Unfortunately the engine has been intermittent after that. I really thought I had it licked after the distributor. Oh well, I'm still looking for a solution.

Does anyone have any ideas for other good forums to post this question? This site doesn't seem to produces many replies that help answer technical questions.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:46 AM

on your coil one of the 2 small wires should be hot all the time with the key on,,,, You can use a test lite for this if you dont have a VOM,,,, if it has juice then put the tester on the other wire, as u crank the engine it should flash, telling you the circuit is opening / closing ...

yea you found out the hard way about those dist.In the past I have had several that Ive had to replace the pick up--- the pip---an the coil on,, what happens as the module shorts out it sends out a high voltage surge that zaps all 3 parts,,Coils are very tricky Ive had quite a few that TESTED good but wernt,,,,,,,,

Also another problem that I have ran into on these vans is the heater core will start leaking an drip down on top of the puther an short it out ,, allways seems to be the start / run circuit it affects------ these puthers are very easy to open up an look at the boards on to see if there is any corrison or broken solder points on,, good luck lets know what you find